Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received two freepasses for Tron Legacy. Watched it with my daughter in 3D and WOW... what a letdown.

Talk about unnecessary 3D !!!

Talk about stretching a 60-minute (with commercial) TV-show into a full-length movie (it feels like it) !!!

Talk about the overuse of LFE yet there is no meaningfull surround effect worth mentioning !!!

Talk about how fake the CGI of "young" Jeff Bridges (especially in the opening scene) !!!

Even with all that loud noises both myself and my daughter dozed off a couple of times during the movie !!!

Man.... what a letdown. I like the original Tron, I love Olivia Wilde, but this movie sucks big time !!!

It's free and I still feel like I want my money back !!!

On the other hand, we watched Yogi Bear and it's much more fun to watch than this overhyped movie.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, but I am discouraged now that I've read your review.
I never thought that the "young" Jeff Bridges looked particularly convincing, but I hoped it was something they were going to fix by the time of release.
Doesn't appear so.
Rolling Stone wasn't very impressed with the Daft Punk score either, which on paper, looked like a match made in heaven with this type of movie.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is truly a missed opportunity. The Daft Punk score is onlu so-so. The only cool thing about this entire movie is just the title logo.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'll disagree with you on the soundtrack. It was one of the best soundtracks i have heard in years. It fitted perfectly with the movie.

The 3D didn't add anything to the movie and was sometimes distracting but i was pleasantly surprised by the movie. It won't become a classic but i'll probably buy it on Blu Ray.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Enjoyed the movie and the soundtrack, I thought it fit well.

I agree the 3d didn't add a huge amount, but I'm ok with that. The preview for the new pirates movie had all kinds of that annoying SCTV style 'oooh scary things coming out the screen at you'

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The soundtrack in itself is good, but it's no DaftPunk, IMHO.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I saw a promo clip with Olivia Wilde yesterday. It's obvious why they chose her and it's certainly not for her acting skills. That promo totally discouraged me from watching the movie... ever.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
According to CBC Newsworld, they opened to 43.6 million dollars. Not bad.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Just got back from seeing it.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the original Tron flim and I am a HUGE Daft Punk fan.

I loved the movie!! And it was even better with the epic score. The Daft Punk cameo was perfect. This was the fun, silly, special-effects loaded blockbuster that I was hoping Transformers would be.

If you're going to criticize Olivia Wilde's performance, then you must include all other actors in that discussion. Not fair to single her out. Ironically, her performance brought more humanity than any other character.

Completely disagree with the comments about young Jeff Bridges; how realistic do you want it to be? I consider it to be pretty damn convincing.

I think anyone who feels let down by the movie had their expectations too high to begin with.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I saw it yesterday in IMAX. It was the first IMAX 3D movie that gave me a headache, and I would agree that the 3D effect was wasted on this movie.

That being said, aside from the so-so acting I really enjoyed the movie. The Daft Punk score fit well, and I knew beforehand that it would be a different sound than what I'm used to from them.

It's definitely not a movie for everyone, and I know some were quite put off by the bland acting and effects. I mostly went to relive the experience I had when watching the first Tron movie, and in that regard I walked away pretty content. If I do see it again though, I'll skip the 3D version.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cooper83,

I'm not singling Olivia Wilde out. However, IMHO, she's a better actor than Jeff Bridges overall and what I'm trying to say that even I'm a fan of her works, her performance in Tron is bland.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Just got back from seeing it. Although it's not a grandiose movie, it is entertaining and a good sendoff from the original. I'd say it was better than the first for sure. I liked the new light cycles...

·
Banned
7 Posts
TRON: Legacy was a bit disappointing... though the effects were very impressive. The film utterly falls apart during the finale, so many plot holes, so many needless and stupid lines.

I'd say the film is only worth seeing on the big screen, in 3-D, in a theatre with a rocking sound system. The Daft Punk score was rad at the theatre I saw it at.

Don't even bother on DVD or Blu-ray.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Saw it yesterday (Dec 28) at Colossus in Vaughn, 3:50PM showing. Digital 3D, not IMAX.

After reading the comments here, we went in with lowered expectations. I went for the special effects, the chases, the CGI, etc. Overall, it was better than I would have expected.

Agreed about the plot holes -
did they ever say WHY Zeus might be of assistance, or who he was?

We got our money's worth, it was worth seeing.

Surprisingly, the 3D effect was less pronounced, even though it was almost 100% CGI for a huge part of the movie. You got the 3D feeling more from movies like Avatar than this movie.

The ad for the Fujifilm Finepix W3, prior to the start of the movie but after we put on our 3D glasses, had more 3D effect that the movie! :)

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I'd buy it in 3D when it comes out. I liked it enough for that.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
I just watched it at home! Man my sub got a workout. I am not familiar with DaftPunk but I agree it was fitting. I found the scenes with Clue very eerie. Mainly because I think they did a great job and young Jeff Bridges is the doppelganger of my friend. The effects were great. Unlike anything I have seen before.

I would definitely recommend it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts