Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been watching CSI now for about five years now but last night was the last.

While you often have to suspend disbelief, especially the last few seasons, last night was the worst.

Enhance a night camera shot of the window of a moving car taken from 100 feet away and we see a perfect image of a women's face.

Later the bad guy manages to be in LA, Las Vegas and points in between in no time and the other stretches were beyond belief.

Goodbye CSI.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I know how you feel.

Five-O really stretched it this week as well. When they drove around the island collecting gasoline samples from every station (of a given chain), and then relying on a lab analysis to pin-point an exact service station gas was bought from.

My wife & I are both Chemical Engineers employed in the oil & gas sector here in Alberta. We had a good laugh.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Not really much different than 24 though.

Jack was always 15 minutes out :p

And every Tom, Dick and Terrorist not only knew exactly where CTU was, but would be able to walk right in (they must have had a neon sign in their oparking lot).

There always comes a time when a show passes it's prime and to me it was when Grissom left.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I do watch CSI LV but ive been more into CSI NY for the longest time now and consider it my fav of the 3. I also watch CSI Miami but ive missed so many eps this season due to every 8/10 I went to watch it the next day(as I watch nothing live) and all I had was stupid undercover boss on the PVR, so Im way behind in Miami. CSI has beed very far fetched as of late.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
My interest in CSI has been waning as well. I long ago gave up on CSI: New York and CSI: Miami. And I've been finding that episodes have been residing in my DVR weeks before I'll watch them.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Same here. The writing on CSI has gone downhill the last couple of years. Unlike some shows, CSI is not always written and directed by the same person and various styles of writing or directing become apparent after awhile. We will be sitting there and simultaneously say, "Not another one of these episodes."

CSI:Miami was unbelievable on day one and went downhill from there. Some people like that style of show, and that's fine, but not me. My rule of thumb is that any show with Miami or Hawaii in the title will be a piece of fluff and it's 90% accurate.

CSI:NY seemed good at first but it also descended into cliche hell. I've caught glimpses that looked interesting but haven't gone back.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I loved CSI when it first appeared on television. Then I enrolled in the post-secondary criminal justice program. Never watched another episode.

Kinda like when I stopped watching Baywatch after getting my lifeguarding certification :p

·
Registered
363 Posts
Criminal Minds also has gone way downhill, not what it once was,
and the one after it C Minds somthing or other, is kinda weird,
how they profile peolpe and just come up with the solution is beyond belief now

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I've barely watched any of the CSIs since the NHL playoffs began, and to be honest I don't miss any of them. I may start watching again in the fall, but they are kind of getting old now.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
hugh said:
My wife and I have been watching CSI now for about five years now but last night was the last.

While you often have to suspend disbelief, especially the last few seasons, last night was the worst.

Enhance a night camera shot of the window of a moving car taken from 100 feet away and we see a perfect image of a women's face.
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed...I mean, impressed by how much detail they were able to "enhance" from three or four pixels. Then again, I never expected waggling "French kiss" straws to ever be a reality... :p

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It always amazes me how they can take a crappy 640x480 surveillance image and get about 50 billion pixels of resolution. I want some of that software for my old photos, super8 movies and VHS tapes. ;)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You know what I want? The program that manages to crack "secure encryption" in a couple days. With a handy dandy progress meter showing on the monitor.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
How about a DNA match in 15 minutes.
That's been done already. They used a handy kit to process the DNA in house. Must be nice. Most major PDs have a 5 year backlog on rape case DNA analysis and they just churn one out at on a moment's notice.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Killing the young, superannuating the old

Regarding the longevity of CSI, it is unfortunately all about ratings. It is a sad irony of Mystery/Crime/Suspense television that the main U.S. networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox) either:
  1. keep the most popular of new shows on the air well, well past their due date simply due to good ratings
  2. cancel the most promising, innovative new shows in less than a season before steady interest can develop good ratings
  3. clone the most popular series into spinoffs that dilute the brand and make it harder for new shows to enter
  4. saturate the syndication market with reruns of the earlier seasons of currently running shows
There have been some occasional exceptions to the above, such as Law & Order: Criminal Intent and Southland being shunted to cable networks, but many shows with great potential simply disappear.

The same is true to a lesser extent in Canada with the cancellation of terrific series like Intelligence and Shattered.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
CSI (LV) has defintely gone downhill the last few seasons. I still watch every episode of all the series though. CSI Miami also has gone downhill I find. Caruso is brutal to watch, we mostly watch just to laugh at him now. CSI NY is by far the best of the 3. We are getting overwhelmed though as we watch CSI, CSI Miami, CSI NY, Criminal Minds, Criminal Mind Suspect Behaviour, Justified, Blue Bloods, The Chicago Code, Poirot, Body of Proof, Bones, Breakout Kings, Chase (ending), Dexter, Dark Blue (renewed?), Endgame, Harry's law, Hawaii Five-O, In Plain Sight, Law and Order LA, Lewis, Midsomer Murder, Memphis Beat, NCIS, NCIS LA, Rizzoli and Isles (renewed?), Rookie Blue (renewed?), Rubicon (renewed?), Terriers (renewed?), The Closer, The Glades, The Mentalist and White Collar just to name a few :)

Many similarities amongst that list, but at least some uniqueness in there too.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just so you know, from your list of shows, Dark Blue, Rubicon, and Terriers have all been officially canceled. Many others of those are on the bubble for renewal.

As far as CSI goes, my wife and I quit sometime last year. Just too many other shows we liked better, and CSI seemed to keep piling up on the DVR, so eventually we just deleted them to make space for other shows. For us it has just been a steady downhill slide for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts