Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple of days, on a couple of websites I've been seeing the following "warning".

The information you’re about to submit is not secure
Because the site is using a connection that’s not completely secure, your information will be visible to others.

You're then given the option to continue or go back.
I do not see this warning in Firefox or Safari. The websites in question were the Toronto Library link to Pressreader and the last step after signing in to Webmail (Rogers/Yahoo). The warnings appear at the last step in a sequence of steps required to login to the particular final website where Pressreader and my Webmail are located. I have already provided my username and password in that sequence. I can therefor not provide a URL.

All browsers are up to date.

Anyone else seeing this? Anyone have an explanation?

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that link. It certainly explains it and I probably should have tried searching the web before posting here. It's strange though that this didn't start happening to me until yesterday - several months after V86. I'm now on V87.0.4280.67

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a follow up regarding my Webmail sign-in. If you go from the following link, you don't get the warning:

https://ca.rogers.yahoo.com/

If you start at the following link, you do get the warning:

https://rogersmembercentre.com/rmcapp/remc.html#/signin

I can include my e-mail address in the above URL by using remember me, so I don't need to type it in each time. I have several different bookmarks for my various e-mail addresses.

Strange...

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
There are a lot of inconsistencies in how various browsers respond to web pages. Sometimes I prefer the one that tries to help me the least!

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
11,166 Posts
I have lately been getting security warnings when I visit Costco.ca using Chrome 87. I have never accepted the warning to continue to site. But I hit refresh and the error goes away and the page loads normally.

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never accepted the warning to continue to site. But I hit refresh and the error goes away and the page loads normally.
I'm sure that refresh still sends the information in the same way. You've already had the "warning of a "suspect" site.

In addition to the two sites I mentioned earlier, I also get the warning if I try to post on the Rogers Forum when I haven't signed in yet. This is allowed by Rogers because it asks for the sign-in information once you click "post". That's two strikes against Rogers.

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I no longer get the warning when signing into Webmail.

I also didn't get the warning this morning when posting on the Rogers Forum without logging in.

hmmm, The other website (Toronto Library) that had the same issue no longer has the issue. I wonder if something else has changed rather then 3 fixed websites?

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
The browser may be remembering previous choices. I've seen dialogs that had a check box to remove future warnings for a site. It's a small change to remember the choice automatically.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's also this somewhat ugly fix on Chrome where you type in a hack sentence w/o spaces, and the browser will then surpress SSL warnings on sites you have once went along on, albeit this is not recommended doing due to obvious security reasons. I hope i haven't taken the original post out of context completely. Just thought I'd fill in on this. Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts