Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now been on hold for 1.5 hours trying to resolve some issues I am having with Optik TV. I decided to check the Telus website to see if I am eligible for the 3HD/1SD feed and I was surprised to see that it is now available in my area. So I called Cs to see how I can get converted over. I was told by CS that it will happen automatically sometime in March when there is a mass system update. I thought "Great, I'll wait until March to see the update". I then ask to be transferred over to Tech Support as i have been having issues with Freezing/Stuttering mostly noticable during sports programming. I go thru the reset of the modem with Tech Support and then she says monitor it to see if it improves. I thougbht "Great, I'll monitor the issue and see if it persists. I then confirm with her that I will automatically be switched over to the new profile in March. She tells me that there is no Work order in my account and that I would need a w/o issued by CS to be upgraded. "Huh?" I thought it was automatic. She says no it is not. I then am confused and she wants to transfer me back to CS to issue a w/o. I explain to her that I would rather be transferred to a MGR as I have been on this call for over 1.5 hours and just want to get the correct info on getting upgraded to 3HD/1SD. I am told that I should get a callback within 4 hours.

Can anyone explain the process of getting 3HD/1SD profile? I am eligible for it as per the Telus Website.

Thanks,

AJ

·
Registered
241 Posts
There previously hasn't been an automatic process to upgrade people when the eligibility changed. As such, a rep would have to cancel the service, and roll a tech the same day with a installation order, who would arrive a little confused that the work was done, and enter the new reg codes.

There is now either (or there will be shortly) an automatic remote upgrade procedure. My guess would be that the first rep was correct, and the rep knows the timeline for the automatic remote upgrades. The second rep may not be as aware of the process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was called a week in advance being offered the upgrade in my area. They had to book me an appointment because it is done in batches. Unfortunately the batch I was in failed and now I have to wait till March. It seems as though you definitely need to set up a time to get the upgrade. It is done remotely and no one comes to your door but get an appointment and hope your batch is successful...

·
Registered
5 Posts
unfortunately there is no automatic way of upgrading you to the newest 3hd/1sd profile. You will have to call in, if you have the number for the guy who did your install give him a shout and he can prolley help you out.

It also depends on if you are on optik tv already. The other thing is if you have the proper modem. The 3hd profile requires a vdsl modem for it to work otherwise nothjing will work once they move you over unless u aqre in a telus building with built in ethernet.

i called the guy who installed mine and he made the call to move me over. I have a actiontec modem, so it was all good, now 3hd and much faster internet even with all streams used up.

hope this helps

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's automatic if you don't mind waiting until it happens.

If you don't want to wait, do what I did 2 days ago, call and ask for tech support, tell them that you want the upgrade now and they just do it on line as long as you have an Actiontec modem.
I'm not sure why people are suggesting calling your installer or jumping through other hoops. Took about 5 minutes over the phone with the tech support guy. He was really friendly too, chatting about Mediaroom 2.0 and things...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to make an appointment so they could change out some equipment.. said something about lighing up the fiber to the house and would take 5-8 hours.. however going from 1hd/2sd to 3hd/1sd is totaly worth it

·
Registered
458 Posts
It's automatic if you don't mind waiting until it happens.

If you don't want to wait, do what I did 2 days ago, call and ask for tech support, tell them that you want the upgrade now and they just do it on line as long as you have an Actiontec modem.
I'm not sure why people are suggesting calling your installer or jumping through other hoops. Took about 5 minutes over the phone with the tech support guy. He was really friendly too, chatting about Mediaroom 2.0 and things...
I still dont understand how all you can just call tech support and 5min u are on 3HD. What other services do you have? more than one box? Internet? do they charge you more to go to 3HD if you have internet and 1 box? if no then that just burns my bottom.

I have said it before, 3 x i have called. and 3 x i am told i can get it but it would cost me more money. i am told there is no way to lock the internet at 15 and thus pay more $$ if i want 3HD. so if its just "It's automatic if you don't mind waiting until it happens."
(not dissing you Meestor, more ticked at Telus for the rig-a-morol i been thru) but why would Telus want to charge me more $ for something that will be an automatic upgrade soon?

I have been told so many different things by so many different people on this. I know of one person who cant get upgraded (and he works for Telus) Would love to get 3HD but not for more $ especially if others get upgraded free.

·
Registered
162 Posts
To be precise, I was going from 1HD/2SD service to 2HD/1SD service. Not to 3HD/1SD service.
Perhaps I'm mistaken in that the jump to 3HD/1SD service requires more than a phone call, but I don't know why it would. If I have advised incorrectly because the jump to 2HD is a simpler process than to 3HD, then I apologize.

All I'm saying is that the change from 1HD/2SD to 2HD/1SD for me was simply a 5 minute phone call to tech support, but I did already have an Actiontec modem. While I was on line with the technician, my PVR rebooted itself and then I checked the info page and there it was, 2HD/1SD.

I simply do not understand this "pay more" option that you are talking about. When I first got Optik, I was very upset that I only got 1HD/2SD when I thought I was getting 3HD/1SD. After arguing for a while with CS, I asked if I could pay more and get the 25meg "Optik Turbo" package which would give me the 3HD/1SD as well, and they said no. The higher speed was simply not available in my neighbourhood.

Your experience with them saying they can only upgrade you if you pay more sounds very fishy and I would recommend going up the ladder to a manager and find out what is really going on. The only limitation to getting 3HD/1SD should be the capability of the connection in your neighbourhood, not how much you can pay.

CS has been wrong about nearly everything I've asked them, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were wrong about the upcharge for you as well. Only Tech Support has had the correct answers so far.

-Andy.

·
Registered
458 Posts
ok. thanks Meestor. i assumed you went to 3hd as you are replying in the "want to upgrade to 3HD/1SD" thread :)

Not only is the 3HD service available to me (confirmed by telus page) and a neighbour that is one floor above me in apartment building is on it. But my last call the a CSR told me i qualify for the 3HD but i have to pay more. After a bit of back and forth of me saying its not right and she saying basically, tough pay or go away.
i say fine (and before i can finish) she says ok do you want me to upgrade you? i say no i mean fine i will just quit at the end of my 3yrs.

says oh if you are wanting to quit i have to transfer you to another dept. she comes back 5min later saying she talked to "them" and i dont qualify for 3HD after all.. lol.. ya sure.

so i hope it is automatic. i really do not want to have to call a CSR again.
Oh. the reason she says i have to pay more is that i will be on the 25m profile and thus have faster internet and no she says it is not possible to lock the internet speed at 15.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I called last week and got passed to someone who told me that while converting a 1HD/2SD stream is easy, converting at 2HD/1SD causes all sorts of problems that they are working on. Hope that it will be fixed in the next 1-2 months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe that the 3HD/1SD profile requires VDSL as stated above, so if you're not on that then they'll have to upgrade you manually if you don't have an Actiontec or ALU. Going from the 1HD/2SD to 2HD/1SD is simple and can be done at their end as they're just moving you up to the 19mb profile from the 15mb one and you're staying on ADSL2+.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

I had a tech come out as Iw as having issues with the PVR was stuttering and freezing from time to time. He came and checked the system and found that I had errors in my profile. He then spoke to tech support who upgraded me on the spot tot he newer profile and at the same time cleaned up all the errors. System and picture looks great. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok heres some info to clear things up.

1. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY extra to get the 3hd/1sd profile. Depending on when you signed up for Telus TV you should have been set to the highest profile available at THAT time for THAT equipment (either adsl2+ or VDSL). Any reps that tell you that you have to pay extra is wrong. Unless you are on the older Telus TV platform in which prices are different because of digital box rental price differences.

2. If you have OPTIK TV in order to get the 3HD/1sd profile you HAVE TO QUALIFY (meaing your address must have the VDSL2 equipment istalled and active). Go to Telus.com, enter your home phone number and if you can sign up for 25MEGS internet then you are good to go. Otherwise it means u have ADSL2 equipment or you are just tooo far) END OF STORY

3. If you want Telus to upgrade over the phone as some of you have suggested and succeeded you must have a VDSL modem installed...either a cellpipe or the actiontec. find it hard to believe tech support can do it over the phone, but some of you have suggested otherwise.

4. I suggested earlier to call the original installer to get it done for you because they probably have the right internal connections to get you moved over properly, and possibly supply you with the proper equipement if you dont already have it already.

·
Registered
458 Posts
pardon me for asking Boy80, do you work for Telus? Just wondering how you know this as it would indeed be welcome news if what you say is true. As i have posted previously my experience with trying to upgrade to 3hd/1sd hit a CSR stone wall and very frustrating to say the least.

for the record. I am ~200ft from the corner box. I qualify for 3hd. my phone # checks out. i have the white pots splitter. i have the actiontec. someone else in my building is on 3hd(25m) i am still on 2hd/1sd(19.2) 3 separate CSR on 3 separate occasions all were ready to move me to 25m but all said i have to pay more.

on my 2nd visit from a tech (trying to fix a freezing/packetloss issue) when he was moving my connections around in the corner box i asked him since he was there why not put me on 25m..he says he can not do that..it has to be done over the phone.

i am hoping that as others have posted, that some time soon this 3hd will become an automatic upgrade. I really do not want to talk to a CSR about this as last time i almost cancelled (penalties be darned) :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
like i said above i called the installer (employee not contractor) who did my install and he made the call to move me over to the VDSL profile once the box outside my house was upgraded.....I was on the 19.2 before the upgrade, but Im still on the 15meg internet speed. You keep mentioning 25megs, if thats the case then u will be charged extra for the speed boost, I didnt feel like paying the extra $13/month.

The VDSL profile actually connects to telus a around 33megs if you log in and read the adsl seetings in the actiontec modem. I suspect the reps think you want the 25Meg internet speed upgrade thats why they want to harge you extra.

Theres a couple of Telus installers on this forum, pm them to see if they can help you out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Question regarding 3HD/1SD stream.

If i went to 3HD/1SD, am I only allowed to record ONE SD stream?
All the multicultural channels are in SD, so If i want to record one of the shows and watch another SD channel, will that work??

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the limit for distance on VDSL? Is it based on how far you are from the Box or does it depend on the box itself? I'm about 300m from the box... and I believe I'm set up as a ADSL2 (15MB profile)

·
Registered
4 Posts
@redsunsDriver:

Nope. That means that you can record 3HD + watch 1 SD. You should easily be able to watch up to 4SD channels... but the MAXimum number of HS channels you can watch or record is 3.

·
Super Moderator
16,862 Posts
@RedsunsDriver, according to other posts in this forum, you should be able to record all 4 streams if you have the 3HD/1SD profile. An SD stream can use an HD "slot", so you can record or watch live any 4 streams as long as there are no more than 3 HD.

@bluemeansgo, typical VDSL2 distance is about 800 meters, but it depends on a number of factors including wire gauge, line quality, the modems Telus uses, etc. The length of the copper line may be greater than the distance you are from the fibre-optic node. The node also has to be upgraded to VDSL2 ports.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So i just has the 3hd and 1sd installed yesterday.. What kind of speeds can I be expecting?? Did a few tests last night, and the speeds seems to be only margianlly faster then when I was on 1hd 2sd.. Maxed out at 14.3 downloading at speedtest.. And shaw..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts