Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys... I know the title doesn't make much sense, however here is my issue.

I have Optik TV and Internet in my house, running through a switch to seperate my own network with the TV network - The problem I have is on my own router running dd-wrt i am seeing WAN traffic.

My Setup is
..................................Computers and other equipment (wifi and lan)
................................../
..............................Linksys router running dd-wrt (192.168.1.1)
............................./
VDSL Modem -> Switch
............................ \
..............................Dlink Telus Router (10.0.0.1)
.................................. \
...................................Optik TV STB's (Ethernet connections, wifi disabled)

When ever I am watching a show on the tv, I can see activity on the WAN of my router, I know its not a big deal, however when measuring network performance, it drives me nuts seeing this activity...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will always see traffic any time a network is in use. A lot of that will be "arp" traffic.

Arp traffic is where a device on the network decides it needs to talk to some one else on the same subnet. Once you get down to the subnet level the network needs to know the MAC address of the device that has a specific IP address. So there is a broadcast made to all devices on the network asking "Who has 192.168.0.33" for example. If any machine has that address it will send it's MAC address so the original device knows where to deliver the packets. This happens all the time.

Also keep in mind that the TELUS PVRs are running a windows OS which are notorious for spewing information out onto the networks. And I think these boxes use uPNP to talk which adds even more traffic being broadcast.

From a security standpoint it is good that you have the extra fire wall in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts