Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I currently have a 2008 vintage Pana plasma 50" tv (weight around 85 lbs). I'm looking at a new 65 inch TCL(weight around 50lbs)...will my current wall mount work with the 65 ??
Thanks

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
It should but it might not. Just about all TVs made in the last decade or more use VESA standard mounting holes for VESA wall mounts. I've run into to occasions where a previous mount won't work with a new TV due to unusually wide or narrow spaced mounting holes that the previous mount could not handle. Sometimes that can be fixed with an adapter bracket.

VESA mounts vary in size from 75mm x 75mm to 800mm x 600mm with most wall mounts supporting a range of sizes. Some wall mounts support a wide range while others only support a narrow range of sizes. Depending on the manufacturer and screen size, TVs can use any standard spacing. Mounting hole specifications should be available in the descriptions of the two TVs.

Another issue are the mounting screws. They vary with the TV and are metric. Most VESA mounts supply a wide range of VESA standard screws but good luck finding them after 10 years. I've had some luck finding metric screws at the local hardware store but they aren't always VESA standard lengths. For obvious reasons, don't use a screw that is too long.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have been really satisfied with Sanus mounts and their chat support is excellent helping you to select the proper mount. Use the mount finder which provides options specific to your hardware. I would consider/recommend something spanning 2 studs for 50lbs.

Recently purchased from their sister company echogear mounts for 32" computer monitors and the kits provided at least 4 types of screws and VESA mount options.

You get what you pay for in mounts so take the hit and spend the money on something solid for your weight class.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Recently I purchased from Prime Cables a wall mount good for TVs 37-70" also VESA. It worked great on my 2007 43" 65 pound Panasonic plasma. Came with a bag full of a variety of bolts, washers and spacers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts