Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just thought I'd ask some of you old hands this. Some of you might have some experience with this antenna since it's a Canadian line... And if not, it might be fun to speculate.

I got a CYD-1446 yagi for Christmas (you know you love antennas when you ask your family for one) and I'm wondering how you think it would compare to other high-gain antennas like the Winegard 9032 or the old CM 4248, or top bowtie antennas like the CM4228 or Winegard 8800. I have all these, so I can compare myself, but I wanted to see what you all thought before I went to the trouble of putting it up.

Here are some gain plots I found online:

http://ralphselectronics.biz/images/JER-CYD1446.jpg

Of course, this doesn't say if it's dbi or dbd... I tend to think dbd, just based on what I've seen for some other high-gain antennas. Also, my impression is that Wade is very honest with its gain claims as compared to some other companies (like, say, Winegard, which many feel exaggerates a bit).

I will say that I was surprised at how small it was relative to other yagis. This makes me a little doubtful about how good the gain really is, but then it is scaled for the lower band compared to other yagis that are older and designed to reach all the way up to 83. The 9032 in particular is very long, but I was disappointed in its performance in the channel 19-40 area.

One thing I do like is that its construction is very heavy duty, just as I expected. (This is the first Wade I've ever seen.) A 10y9s channel 9 yagi that I also got is the same way.

Would love to hear from any who have actually used this antenna, or anyone who would like to throw in their two cents. Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be happy to. :) I can get all the dimensions tomorrow, but I did notice that it's about 75" long compared to the 4248's 80". The directors are longer than those on the 9032 and the little Radio Shack u-75, but smaller than the odd diamond-shaped ones on the 4248.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
The directors are longer than those on the 9032 and the little Radio Shack u-75
That is because they are cut for channel 46. This improves the gain for lower channel numbers but kills the performance for the high ones. Looking at the plot in the link you provided, I would guess that it may also work for a couple channels above 46, but the slope becomes so sharp that you will get severe distortions within the 6MHz channel, so it may not work for anything above about channel 48, even if you have a strong signal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ack, I totally forgot about this thread until I got the email notification... Sorry for forgetting, Wildwillie, if you really wanted to model it! If you still do, I may add them later.

And yep, I'm aware of the scaling... Was just trying to be descriptive. ;) Wouldn't it be great if other companies would scale these old things up for the newer band? (At least down here in the US.)

FWIW, I had it up for a few days, and I can't say it was really any better than my 8-bays or my CM 4248. But it is much smaller than the CM yagi, which would be useful for a lot of people. I hate to get rid of any high gain antenna, but I have so many that I may actually sell this one. The box it came in is quite small compared to the others and would be very reasonable to ship, I think.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I don't know about others, but I am interested in the dimensions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, finally got it done... Had some incomplete dimensions, but I think I have enough now, plus a couple of pics.

Total length = 162 cm
Director width = 19 cm
Director spacing = 12cm
Last director to driven element = 6 cm
Each side of driven element = 14 cm (note that it's not a folded dipole)
Reflector distance behind D.E. = 12 cm
Wider reflector element = 56 cm
Narrower reflector element = 38 cm

Hope I included enough info... If anything looks obviously wrong or if you need more dimensions, please let me know.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Thanks! Certainly a nice looking antenna.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Wider reflector element = 56 cm
Narrower reflector element = 38 cm
So on each half of the corner reflector, there are two short elements and 1 long element ?

Is the corner reflector angle 90 degrees ?

What is the feed point distance, measured center of bolt to center of bolt ?
2 1/4" (57 mm) like on their other antennas, maybe ?

Can you post some close up pictures of the driven element section ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I tried to email the pic of the driven element to myself, but for some reason it isn't going through, so I'll try again when I get home and can download the pics via cable.

Anyway, the corner reflector is 90 degrees.

I couldn't find any stamping on the u-bolt assembly.

The driven element feed gap is 4 cm at the bolts where the balun attaches... The driven elements themselves are 5 cm apart. (The bolts that touch the driven element are angled slightly inward.)

Oh, and yes, it's hard to see for all the metal in the pic, but if you notice there are three reflectors on each side of the corner reflector, with the top and bottom ones being longer than the other two. Reminds me a little of the Winegard 9095, only IIRC the 9095 has two of each length.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I knew I wouldn't get it all at once... :D

300, what do you mean by reflector position measurements? :confused:

Is there anything else I'm forgetting? I did get that the diameter of the DE is a touch over 1 cm, say 12mm, if that's important.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
what do you mean by reflector position measurements?
How high and how far back from a reference point. I would use the center of the long boom as the reference point.

I did get that the diameter of the DE is a touch over 1 cm, say 12mm, if that's important.
So theyre thicker than the 1 cm (3/8") reflector elements ?

Also how wide a metal is used for the directors ? Looks like about 13 mm.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, sorry for the delay. Here's a close-up of the driven element... It's kind of hard to see with the plastic around it.

Here are some other measurements:

Reflector spacing = 11 cm
Director width = 13 mm (good eye, 300!)
Closest reflector in corner reflector = 13.5 cm behind and above/below the D.E.

If I need to measure the other corner reflector elements from a reference point, please let me know... I should be able to go out and check anytime this afternoon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I was hoping for a close up of the area of the connecting bars between the driven elements, like in post # 7, picture 2, but closer. Id like to see how that is put together.

This is what Im looking for in distances, looking at the antenna from the side view. From the side view one of my small corner reflectors :

The reference point for the height measurement for each of the corner reflector rods would be the top of the 1" boom, because thats the plane the directors lie on. That distance is denoted by the red line. Do this for each of the 3 reflectors. You only need to do the 3 reflectors of the top section of the corner reflector. I can figure out the bottom.

The Y point is the apex point used to measure the distance away from the apex. To determine the apex point, you can lay a bar on top of the reflectors (both top and botton half sections) to mark the apex point on the boom with a pencil. Where they intersect is the apex point. Then measure the apex point to reflector horizontal distance for each of the 3 reflectors of the top section of the corner reflector. I can figure out the bottom.

Measure to the center of the rod/tube. This will give me the coordinates for the corner reflector.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
300ohm, do you have an idea what the beamwidth of the CYD-1446 would be? How would it compare to an HD-8800 (ignoring the side lobes)? The distant tower that I am targeting is 36 degrees from one of the local towers, which is in one of the deep nulls of HD-8800. I am thinking even if the 3dB beamwidth of the CYD-1446 is narrower, it may not have the deep nulls that the HD-8800 has. OTOH, some attenuation from the local tower isn't a bad thing as it has/will have adjacent channels (channels 17 and 22) to the two broadcasts (channels 18 and 23) on the distant tower.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
300ohm, do you have an idea what the beamwidth of the CYD-1446 would be? How would it compare to an HD-8800 (ignoring the side lobes)?
From what Ive seen of beamwidth from other corner reflectors, for the same gain at the same frequency, the CYD-1446 and the HD-8800 are going to be very close, about +/- 7 degrees max I would guess, with the CYD-1446 being the narrower of the two. So thats basically 3 degrees on each side. In most cases, that difference wont matter much.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hope you guys don't mind my bumping this old thread considering I'm the OP. :)

Can't believe it's been six years since I first posted on this. I was busy with all kinds of things back then and didn't ever finish providing all the dimensions. If anyone is interested, I now have it at my house and can measure anything you'd like.

Still curious what you experienced modelers and testers think about how it would compare to the other top antennas out there. I have a Winegard 8800 up at my new location right now, and while I used to sing its praises, a lot of testing has been done the last few years showing it's far from the best choice. I have a Winegard 9032 or this Wade I could put up instead. (Or, I'd try my hand at making one of the better GH models if it would make a significant difference.)

My old links aren't working anymore, but here's Wade's that shows 11-13 dbd gain on this antenna. The channel I want most now is RF 41, so I *think* the CYD would probably be better than the 8800 at that frequency... Or maybe not.

http://wadeantenna.cn/Wade/wade/UHF Antennas.pdf

And then there's the question of whether those figures can be trusted. Wade seems extremely professional, but after seeing how superior Winegard's figures show the 9032 to be to the 8800, and how that doesn't seem to bear out in real life, I don't know what to believe.

I'd love to hear your your opinions.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If you provide a list of the Element Lengths and Spacings, I'll punch the numbers into one of my "Universal Yagi" 4nec2 Models and provide Results.....plus DETAILED PHOTOS of the Active, Driver Element(s) with a Ruler conveniently in the SAME Photos.....

BTW: I rather doubt their claim that CYD-1446 (et. al.) can connect directly to ANY companion VHF Antenna WITHOUT the use of a VHF/UHF Coupler.....I would also like to investigate that [probably specious] claim.....

I don't have any models for similar Corner Yagis designed for New UHF Band [although I DO have several similar NARROW BAND Yagis]. However, CYD-1446 is very similar to CM-4228, except the latter has a few more Corner Reflector Rods and is designed for OLD UHF Band (Up thru Ch69). So, if reoptimized for your Application, Max Gain Frequency would drop from Ch69 to Ch42 and would increase a bit due to narrower Frequency Operating Band, which would be offset a bit by the use of fewer Corner Reflector Rods:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/yagis/uhfcm424815elfdyagicornerreflmods

1 - 20 of 28 Posts