Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Too many great options to that thing

Hi weehaggis, take note of which thread I've merged this into and you have your answer! :D

That antenna reminds me of spy movies in which the bad guys are redirecting nuclear missiles with neat particle beam cannons as their weird, evil, megalomanical, supergenius leader laughs in delight, saying "Good Bye, Mr. Bond!"

Good Bye, hard earned money.

With such tried and true antennas as I've recommended in the Antenna Chart I see no reason for anyone to waste their money on such an iffy product. There are much, much better antenna options available that are known to be reliable and worth the money they cost.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ha-Ha...:)
OK....that answers my question.
What is unbelievable is that according to his sales total....he has sold over 53,000 items and has a 99.6% positve feedback count !
( admittedly all 53,000 items are nor antennas.....but of the customer comments I read,there seem to be a lot of satisfied customers).:confused:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks like we might need a new thread for "OUTDOOORS" antennas. And as they say, they our the only authorized dealer. Can't go wrong.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well spotted, moody. I'd never buy an antenna from people with such atroshus speling and grammer! I wonder if those "multliple tvs" it supports are any good? :D

That "guaranteed to work anywhere" line sure must be a real money-maker for them amongst many TV-watching groups:
  • coal miners
  • high arctic explorers
  • deep sea divers

·
Registered
227 Posts
Commander Tom? On Rocketship 7?! BZZZZZZZT... Promo, destroy him!

Commander Tom was never on Rocketship 7: he had his own show in the afternoons, and it was Dave Thomas who was on Rocketship 7.

http://www.rocketship7.com/

Now Promo is on his way to crush you for that... :D
And don't forget Mr. Beeper! Then Dialing for Dollars with......Nolan Johannas (sp.) with the amazing Johnny & Jimmy Duo!

·
Banned
115 Posts
they sell that titan piece of crap at a few electronics shops here in Toronto. I took it out of the box and its so junky it's hilarious!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Gotta get one !

I got real tired of pigeon doodoo on my antenna and roof so I put up one of those fake owls to keep them away, but it didn't work. That fake owl probably cost more than one on those Titans. I'm gonna order me one of those wacky looking Titans. It looks like it will scare the pigeons away. And they said it's guaranteed to work anywhere. Who knows, maybe I can pick up a few extra channels from China at the same time.

·
Banned
103 Posts
haha thats a funny one, in dixie and matheson there are stores that are selling even more and more channel master 4 bay clones for like 20-30 bucks and they must have like 20 different kinds now with weird comapany names, one particular antenna the 4 bay had the wiskers like half an inch thick and flat and looked like spiders ( if only I had a picture) and people were buying this garbage.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this antenna.
The cartoons just get better and better.....

Note the fol. uses folded dipole elements vice bowties in the one above:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16809408

"Full USA Coverage"
"No color codes needed, our antenna works everywhere"
"Grabs local signals with ease! 100+ mile range in any direction."

They might be decent medium range UHF and short range Hi-VHF antennas,
but with the hype, who knows......

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
On a related note, does anyone here remember those ads for cheap colour TV adapters for B&W sets? A friend's father fell for that one. The colour "adapter" was nothing more than a sheet of plastic that you'd tape to the front of your TV. It had a blue tint at the top, pinkish in the middle and green at the bottom.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ya, there was another similar con to the colour converter that allowed you to turn your 26" set into a 40" (unheard of at the time):

It was just a fresnel lens, and a badly designed one at that! Ironically some of the original TVs had such small CRTs that they needed fresnel lenses to make the picture viewable, but as for this add-on that came along much later, it was a swindle because the laws of optics state that fresnel lenses also reduce the image quality as they enlarge it. :)

There's a photo and general description of the TV fresnel lenses here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Ya, there was another similar con to the colour converter that allowed you to turn your 26" set into a 40" (unheard of at the time):

It was just a fresnel lens, and a badly designed one at that! Ironically some of the original TVs had such small CRTs that they needed fresnel lenses to make the picture viewable, but as for this add-on that came along much later, it was a swindle because the laws of optics state that fresnel lenses also reduce the image quality as they enlarge it. :)
My grandmother had one of those. In her case it was actually helpful as she had macular degeneration and enlarging the image on the TV was helpful to her. Her vision wasn't good enough to notice any image quality reduction.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these smaller antenna's that are popping up on ebay. They make it sound as if they are really good but I find it hard to believe considering the size and price.

I was browsing ebay tonight looking for antenna's and I came across several postings for a small antenna which claims to grab channels from 125 miles away and comes with a built in rotor and a high gain amplifier. They are selling for about $70, I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with these.

I am in the Windsor, On area so the digital channels from Detroit are fairly close to me. Any input?

·
Registered
598 Posts

Doesn't look like a very good antenna. You can buy a better antenna for around the same price - Channel Master 4221HD that would work a whole lot better than this.

The rotors on these antennas are useless because there is no feedback telling you which direction the antenna is pointing so unless you are sitting on your roof with your antenna and can see which direction it is pointing you're driving blind.

I'd suggest sticking to the brands and models recommended in this post -

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=97121

Or if your handy building a DYI antenna found in this post -

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=119489

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Saw an ad. for this antenna on a strange website called "Digital Home Canada." :eek:

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
That would be from one of the ad servers, not from this site... :D

Notice how they directly stole Sony's "Full HD 1080" gold and black logo?
Sony said:
All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony, BRAVIA, Sync, Theater Sync, BRAVIA Engine, make.believe, and the Sony logo, Full HD 1080p logo and BRAVIA logo are trademarks of Sony.
My Sony SXRD had that logo on it. :)

41 - 60 of 127 Posts