Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use WMC on a Windows 7 computer to record OTA stuff. All recordings go to an external hard drive. My HTPC hasn't been reformatted in over two years, I'd like to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows 7.

Will I be able to just plug in the external hard drive and watch my recordings?

It'll be the same computer and Windows license key. I have a couple hundred hours of kids shows and other recordings I don't want to lose.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Yes, simply add the external drive as an extra media library in WMC after the new installation. Not sure what would happen if the drive is set as the recorder storage area after the reinstall. There may be a way to export WMC settings and import them after. Files and Settings Transfer Wizard may do this. Can't say I've tried it. It's also a good idea to backup all the files in /Users, /ProgramData and any other areas where personal files and settings may be stored. Some programs, such as Firefox and Thunderbird, have add-ons or utilities to back up and restore their settings.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In NextPVR, there is a file (npvr.db3) which holds everything regarding the catalogues of recorded TV, Video library, Music library etc. If such a file(s)
exists in WMC you could copy it into your new install and retain the link to your recordings on the external drive. try poking around in your Windows/ehome folder opening files marked as "CONFIG" with notepad.

OR back up the entire "ehome" folder

·
Registered
704 Posts
I reformat fairly regularly due to the testing I do. If you set media center back up, and point the recorder to use your external drive again, it will auto-discover the files on the drive and add them to media center.

The only weirdness I've seen is in series recording. My series recording defaults are "keep 5 episodes". As you set up new series recording and it starts to add more episodes, it only considers the newly recorded episodes in the "keep 5" logic and not the episodes from your old setup.

Otherwise, works fine. Do it all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts