Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

361 - 380 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I have Source Cable. If users have a service like unblockus, you need to make sure that if your ISP issues IPv6 addresses, you need to disable IPv6 on devices that support IPv6 (Windows 7 or 8 PC for example). Once I disabled IPv6 I stopped having region issues with unblockus.

I would hope at some point services like unblockus will support IPv6.

·
Registered
47 Posts
At the beginning of September, I was experiencing some hiccups streaming Netflix and Hulu+ using unblockus through Apple TV. Most of the graphics of the movies and TV shows titles wouldn't load up too. It's back to normal now, but it seems that these companies are making a harder push to stop VPN services to stop the out of country streaming. Just a guess...

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
You can sign up for a DNS server like UnoTelly, which unlocks geo-restricted channels by changing your computer's IP address, thus tricking websites like cartoonnetwork.com into thinking you are actually located in the US

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Roku 3 which is working well. I can use my android phone to mirror internet live streaming as well.

I am thinking of getting a service such as unblock-us. If I do so will this work at my router level and thus my computers and phone are now showing a US (or whatever) address or can I set it up with just the Roku?

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Unotelly has issues (already posted previously) on some devices where providers use DNS lookups
A good full service VPN provider will handle DNS redirection and prevent other identity and location "leaks."

If I do so will this work at my router level and thus my computers and phone are now showing a US (or whatever) address or can I set it up with just the Roku?
One way to handle this is by using a second router or another device (such as a PC) to handle the VPN. It's important to be able to bypass or disable the VPN easily in order to handle service that only work in the real location. The Roku has no built in VPN capabilities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks. I think a second router or another PC are beyond my capabilities. Are there any services such as blockless or unblock-us which make it easy to disable the VPN?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Unblock-us is a DNS redirect service, not actually a VPN. It does allow you to access streaming video content from other regions, and all it requires is changing your router DNS settings once. (full instructions provided on their site).

If, for any reason, you wish to disable the DNS redirect, or change your Netflix region, you can do that simply by visiting unblock-us.com .

·
Registered
3 Posts
newbie post - using Apple TV (3rd gen) to access HULU

I am a bell subscriber (IPTV with FTTN on Sagemcon 2864 router/modem). I have an ATV3 attached to the router through a switch. I want to configure the ATV3 using privacy internet access VPN service to switch to US HULU and Netflix. I have read a number of ways of doing this using DNS switching and switching IP addresses.
However, how do I get the IP address that PIA gives me say from a Texas gateway into the ATV? Do I just write down the PIA IP address and then put that into the ATV where it has the IP address (which is currently provided by my router)? This would mean exchanging one of my internal IP addresses with an external IP address. Can I do this? Do I then need a US iTUNES Account or just the netflix account information?
any help with this would be appreciated.
I have heard that HULU is now blocking the IP addresses from proxy services like PIA so that appears to be closed right now.
thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Restrictions with Roku and Netflix

I use unblockus on a Roku 3 to get Netflix & Hulu Plus.
If you have a supplied ISP modem/router, there's a very good chance you won't be able to configure your Roku 3 to accept DNS settings. If there is, please post here. However, for right now, Unblock has some info on the topic which isn't very promising for most people: https://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/1523907-solutions-for-region-issues-with-roku-and-netflix

If you want to use a VPN, you must ensure that your router supports a VPN configuration (many ISP types do not).

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
That's not quite correct. The issue is the router not the modem. If you can put the device in bridge mode so that it only acts as a modem and then you use your own modem then you are fine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
@Wayne, nowadays, most ISPs provide a modem to their customers which is a router and modem "all in one". :)

Most people will never put their modem in bridge mode because they need wifi. Buying an additional router when the ISPs has it already built in is not something the vast majority of people will ever do.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
@Wayne, nowadays, most ISPs provide a modem to their customers which is a router and modem "all in one". :)

Most people will never put their modem in bridge mode because they need wifi. Buying an additional router when the ISPs has it already built in is not something the vast majority of people will ever do.
I am well aware of that but if you aren't sophisticated enough to put a gateway in bridge mode then there is NO WAY that you are sophisticated enough to set up a static routing to allow your Roku to work with Unotelly or Unblockus.

I would always recommend that you use your gateway in Bridge mode for privacy reasons if nothing else. When my CGN3 gateway is in gateway mode then Rogers essentially has control over my LAN and Rogers' employess can access my Wifi password.

And then there is the fact that the router capabilities of these gateways are normally way inferior to even a low end standalone wifi router.

And improving your Wifi is even a better reason for using the device in Bridge mode, especially if you live in a house. Then you put the modem in the basement where the cable enters your house, and you put Wifi Access Points or Routers in more central locations with ethernet cabling back to your modem.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
That sort of the whole reason they SUPPLY the all in ones... gain the customers who don't want to play around with other hardware, etc.

Seems like some can, some cant.

The current range of Rogers all in ones, it can be overwritten. (obviously takes a few settings changes, but doable)

You have to look at as well... again not everyone is technical. Many people.. doing the DNS change to get US services, is beyond them.
Often someone competent enough to do that, would be enough to at least bridge with another router. (or the person doing it for them would be)

:)

That's what's lovely about the internet now.. at least there is many resources on HOW to do these things.

361 - 380 of 426 Posts