Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can guide me on this problem I'm trying to sort out. :cool:

I have a Asus RT-N16 router running dd-wrt. I have 3 wired connections to it - my desktop PC, my Slingbox, and my TiVo. To unlock some of the features on my TiVo only available to US ip addresses, I often flip the router into PPTP mode. The problem is that my whole home network then is slowed down and things restricted to Canadian ip addresses become unavailable.

Is there something I can put between the router and my TiVo to put just the TiVo on the VPN so I can leave my router as normal for the rest of the devices on my network?

Thanks for any suggestions and advice!

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Buy another router (a cheap one will do) and put it between the TiVo and the RT-N16. You can put the VPN on the new router and your TiVo will be behind the VPN while the rest of your network will not.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank guys.

I'm little leery of using a "cheap" router as since it's going to my TiVo, most of the traffic will be video so I want to have something that will be happy with the amount of data that will be flowing through it.

I'm still a little confused about how to configure the second router?! Would I need to turn off DHCP? Since my 1st router is 192.168.1.1 - would the 2nd router running the vpn subnet need to be set to 192.168.2.1?

I'm think the answers are no and yes for what I want to do. That is my TiVo would end up having a 192.168.2.x address.

Sorry if the questions are dumb but this is pushing the limits of my networking expertise.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You don't need another router or VPN.

You should be able to use a DNS proxy service, such as Unotelly or UnblockUs.

It is a simple service where you give the device the DNS servers of the respective services. No VPN required. It will make your device appear as if it is in the region you want to use (i.e. US) without disrupting the rest of your network. You'll also get your full speed.

As long as you can get to the "Network" settings of your TiVo, you should be fine. Most devices will allow you to change these settings.

I use it on my TV, and it works very very well.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Some media streaming services detect and block DNS proxies. If you run into one of those, a VPN may be required.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You need to become familiar with routing and or firewall rules. I use PFsense as my router/firewall and it has a StrongVPN connection to NYC for any US based services such as Hulu, US Netflix and Pandora. My pfsense router will choose either the VPN connection or the local Rogers connection based on source or destination..ie any traffic for 208.85.40.0/21 (Pandora for Sonos) will exit via the VPN connection or any traffic exiting from any of my Apple TV will also go through the VPN. The last rule on my firewall is to simply allow traffic out through the Rogers connection. Another advantage is that pfsense runs on PC hardware and that allows the VPN to run at run speed. I have a 150 Mbps connection and I can get the full throughput. I admit this is not a simple project but highly worth it.

I also know that if your router supports DD-WRT, you can perform some of the same routing but you will run into speed issues as there is not enough processing power for the VPN overhead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since you describe running an RT-N16 with DD-WRT, you can configure port based VLANS on it. You would basically setup a separate VLAN on a different port and have the TIVO be on that vlan on a different subnet. Then create the route from that vlan subnet to the pptp network.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions. :) I'm going to need to take some time to read up on a few things/find some tutorials online to better understand what I need to do.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Some media streaming services detect and block DNS proxies. If you run into one of those, a VPN may be required.
Most of the popular streaming sites also block known VPN services (e.g. HULU)

I'd suggest to try the DNS proxy first for your needs. Both UnoTelly and UnblockUS have a trial period of about 10 days for free. If it works it's a LOT less of a pain to setup than a dedicated firewall/vpn solution.

I highly doubt TiVo is actively blocking DNS proxies. I've been using Unotelly for about a year for Netflix US, and they really don't seem to care.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have to agree that a DNS proxy is the way to go.
I've used UnBlock-US for well over a year now, but used various VPN proxy solutions before that.
With the DNS I don't get slowdowns like a VPN proxy, it never gets blocked and only spoofs the sites you need it to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts