Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to get rid of my landlines (one residential, one business) because of the ridiculous cost of both.

I am considering porting the numbers and using Vonage so that I can keep all of my existing analog hardware in the house.

I can't seem to get a great answer on this from anyone. If I get rid of the landline, will I be able to reconfigure the alarm system to piggyback on the Vonage virtual line?

Secondly, on the business line end of things, because it's only a single phone in my home office, I am open to buying a different piece of hardware that could be a VoiP phone that I just plug into the network. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I did some pretty extensive testing on this a few years ago, and here's what I found (using a relatively wide basket of different alarm controls)

1. The old-school pulse formats (think rotary phone clicks) work flawlessly, but you might find resistance from your alarm company to use this format because it holds the line open longer and is much more constrained in the types of signals it can send
  2. FSK (think modem or fax sounds) worked OK in all cases. In the alarm biz, this is called "SIA" format. Stands for Security Industry Association, a pseudo-standards body.
  3. DTMF formats (think touch-tones) were flaky at best. Might be dependant on the VOIP carriers (inband/out-of-band setting). This format is typically a proprietary format called "Contact ID" promoted primarily by Honeywell, but supported by many.

Personally, I used SIA format on Primus TalkBroadBand for a couple of years without issue, then I just went straight IP and bypassed the VOIP system altogether. Far superior solution, with a 3sec ping.

On your second question, I use (and strongly advocate) getting rid of the ATA adaptor that many VOIP companies like Vonage use and just go for a SIP IP phone. Not all carriers support it, but my combination of voip.ms and Aastra handsets are fabulous.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I was able to have my ADT system use my Vonage line, but it's not really some easy work that can be done by everyone. It worked well for me because I had cable internet so I could do away with the outside phone line entirely.

I needed to locate two things. 1 - Where the outside line was connecting to the input line of the alarm box. 2 - Locate the wire of the phone jack in the house I wanted to use to connect my Vonage box to. I then disconnected the outside line from the input line to the ADT box and instead connected the inside line I located. I would then connect my Vonage box to the phone jack of that inside line. Basically feeding the signal to the ADT box before going to the rest of all phone jacks in the house.

That way, line seizure would still work with the alarm system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some fantastic feedback from both you. I appreciate the comments and will take a close look at my options. I might post back on this thread to confirm a few things before I go ahead. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had my alarm on vonage originally and it worked about 90% of the time, which was not really good enough :) I ended up going back to a bell line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts