Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vonage Canada, has announced the "World Canada Plan," a landline calling plan that lets users with a broadband internet connection make unlimited local and long distance calling to landlines within Canada and to over 60 other countries.

In addition, subscribers can make calls to mobile numbers in Canada, the U.S. and 15 other countries.

The $40 a month plan as feature over twenty calling features including VoiceMail, Call Waiting with Caller ID, Call Forwarding, Caller ID Block, Call Return and Anonymous Call Block.
I've used Vonage for five years now and am pleased with the service. I have the $20 a month package. This may be of interest to anyone wanting local service and who makes a lot of overseas calls.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have used Vonage since April 2004 when we lived in Hong Kong. It was great having a Canadian number for our friends to call that would ring in our apartment there.

These days that stuff is pretty normal, but back then it was extremely cool.

We kept the line when we came back to Canada. $20 per month for 500 North America minutes is better than anything the local tel or cable company will do.

Those guys do a great job.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've also had the 20 dollar plan for several years now.

It's not clear to me though; what is different with the new 40$ plan compared to the one they've always had?...More countries?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I can't seem to find the complete list on Vonage website. Any clue whether Indonesia is included?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
http://www.vonage.ca/calling-plans/residential/vonage-world-canada/

Andorra
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Bahamas*
Bahrain
Belgium
Brazil
Brunei*
Bulgaria
Canada*
Chile
China*
Colombia
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Dominican Republic
Estonia
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Guadeloupe
Guam*
Hong Kong*
Hungary
Iceland
India*
Iraq
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
KenyaLatvia
Luxembourg
Macedonia, Republic of
Macau*
Malaysia*
Malta
Mexico
Monaco
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Peru
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico*
Romania
Russia
Saipan*
San Marino*
Singapore*
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand*
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States*
U.S. Virgin Islands*
Venezuela
Zambia

*Calls to cellular phones included

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
DOH!

Thank you for the list. Again Indonesia is not on the list... not on anybody's list :(

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
pretty much the same as Skype then.

I'm just hoping for a mobile plan or home-phone plan that requires no PC that includes unlimited calls to Indonesia since a lot of my calls (to my clients, publishers, relatives) are to Indonesia.

·
Registered
492 Posts
What if i get VoIP phone service ... (say with 7.5 mb High Speed Internet Service) .. and will be downloading FULL speed for a prolonged period of time (say at some torrent or something like that)

... and need to use the phone, while downloading FULL speed .. will the VoIP phone service's sound quality be effected at all or not? (... cuz VoIP phone service is dependant on internet to operate)

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Yes it will affect your VOIP such as what happens at my brother in law's place when he tries to use voip and neflix hd at the same time.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks.. - ya.. i thought so.. :)

That is why i am with regular Local Phone service .. (non-VoIP one)

hugh said:
I've used Vonage for five years now and am pleased with the service. I have the $20 a month package.,,,
20 bucks .. !!

For myself don't see a point to go with VoIP (especially for that price)

Currently with Primus regular (NON VoIP service) my monthly price is 19.95 - 50 cents for paperless bill + 40 cents for 911 .. plus taxes.. - with taxes 22.23
and grandfathered 2 calling features without any extra cost (Call display . and Call waiting)

But even if would not have Primus .. - Shaw Cable's "Bare-bone" / cheapest phone package is like 20.95 .. (911 service i believe is included ..and they include Call display also for this price)

So if would not have Primus .. more likely would have been with Shaw currently with that 20.95 plus taxes deal.
Simply don't like when my Phone service depends on Internet service :)

As i recall .. i tried some VoIP years ago.. (can't recall if was Primus or someone else).. for like 15.95 or something.. and could not stand it ..
gave it back in a month or so.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Agreed...Vonage pricing is quite high compared to the VOIP marketplace today. They seem stuck in the same place they started five years ago...just below traditional POTS with enough differentiator to start skimming customers away.

They are certainly not attractive to anyone sophisticated in VOIP, but fortunately for them, that's a tiny percentage of the market!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When Vonage / Primus etc hit the marketplace with their VoIP service 5 years or so ago, the typical POTS package with unlimited LD / Voice Mail / Call Display and so on was about $70 or $80 a month.

Even today, POTS service is more expensive than Vonage.

I have both a POTS and VoIP line.

For POTS service, I am bundled with Primus which gives me High Speed Internet, LD and Local calling for $55 a month which is great value

For VoIP, I have switched from Vonage to VoIP.ms which brings my cost down from $20 a month to about $8 to $10 a month or so (plus hardware cost). Although I am saving with VoIP.ms, I would never recommend it to 98% of the people I know.

For the vast majority of Canadians, I still think Vonage (or Primus) represent good value.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Hugh,

what is the drawback of VoIP.ms?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please this thread is about Vonage

·
Registered
58 Posts
Automatic Switch

I have been on the Vonage Premium Unlimited Plan (39.99/mo) since May of 2006 and I have found that Vonage's technical support has gotten astronomically better since I first installed it.
I was automatically switched (they never asked if I wanted to switch) to the World Canada calling plan on August 24, 2010.

Grelber

·
Registered
58 Posts
And today, More Good News

This morning I received an eMail from Vonage Canada which said in part:

From today Vonage is reducing the monthly charge of Vonage World Canada to $29.99. The new price will take effect from your next bill date after today. Now you can enjoy the benefits of being able to call over 60 countries for $10 less each month.
How low can they go :)

Grelber

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, that's a pretty good deal.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's for anyone.