Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Since Monday morning I've noticed that I need to turn up the volume much higher while watching tv, even my wife has noticed. I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing? My set up has not changed at all, and I've checked all the settings on my Rogers stb (4250 HD) and tv (panny TH50PX75). My tv is hooked up via component video and the audio is connected directly to the tv.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
If you're using analogue audio connections (red/white), then the STB may be controlling the audio if you've got the settings for audio set to "variable" in the STB. Set the audio to "fixed" and then you will get the max volume from the STB. Press the settings button twice and go through all the settings to make sure everything's set up the way you want.

Tip, turn down the volume on the TV before changing variable to fixed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for your reply 57, my stb has always been set to fixed as I have the remote programmed to use the Tv's volume control. I did however check that first just in case. I've also double checked all my connections and nothing. I hope my Tv's not going on the fritz. :(

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Have you thought about trying HDMI? Not that it will necessarily cure things, but the digital audio is usually better than analogue and the video may be slightly better. Note that if you're going to use a different connection, it should be properly optimized since there are differences between inputs, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did consider swapping the connection to see if there would be any difference. The only reason I'm using the component input is due to the lack of additional hdmi inputs. The two I have are being used for my blue ray player and my wd media player. To be honest I think the picture on the component input is really good and until now had no complaints. Could this be an update problem with the stb?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That being said, are there any good hdmi switch boxes out there? Ive read mixed reviews and not sure if I should even bother wasting my time/money on one?

·
Registered
94 Posts
JSA, just to let you know, I have also noticed this on one channel at least....my son watches a lot of Treehouse, and we definitely have to put the volume on the television set up louder. This started for us around Monday as well. This is happening when I use my direct HDMI connection from my set top box (8300HD) to the television set.

I checked one or two other channels, but noticed that they seemed to be working as they were prior to Monday. But I have to admit that I haven't really checked thoroughly on other channels (lack of time to watch TV).

I also have an optical connection running out of my set top box to my receiver, so can test that out too. Didn't see if that's affected yet.

Not saying that this is definitely a problem, because it could just be a coincidence that you and I are having similar issues. I also haven't really checked since Monday-ish, so don't know if I'm still having the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Consider calling Rogers and explaining this may be a localized issue.

I had issues with Rogers Durham Region Community 10. The audio was screechingly loud compared to all the other channels. I complained and they said, more or less, "sounds good to us here". I kept complaining and only when they came out to check the local feeder connection for my local city block (not sure exactly what the correct terminology is here) did they find the issue and correct the audio.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies. Although all of the channels have reduced volume, I was prompted to write about the problem because my son also watches alot of treehouse and this channel is the biggest culprit. The volume is now set to 15 when I used to only require 9. The other channels have a smaller but still very noticeable volume correction needed. Even raising the volume correction for the input in my tv's setup hasn't really much. If this has been done on purpose I'm just curious why all of a sudden.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts