Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

i am on cogeco and i have the motorola dct6416 stageIII connected to my 46inch sony via HDMI cable....my remote is the motorola DRC800

my one problem is that the motorola remote will not control the TV volume....it will make the bars on the screen go up and down but there is no change in volume....in order to change the volume i need to use the tv remote

is there any way that i can get this motorola remote to control the tv volume?? its my understanding that the HDMI cable is the reason for this problem...would like to avoid going back to component cables

any help would be appreciated
jason

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Cogeco remote is a fully programmable remote that should have plenty of codes that work with your Sony TV. Read the manual that came with the receiver, it has detailed instructions how to program the "tv" device on the Cogeco remote.

It also has another feature that allows you to lock the remote so when you hit volume up/down, it automatically adjusts the tv's volume rather than the volume on the cogeco receiver itself, regardless what device you have selected on the remote. ( I found this a nice feature) That way you don't have to swtich between tv/cable devices on the remote.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
atomicharddrive, DigitalRocks has provided the information you require. Read the operating manual for the remote.

Programme the remote so that it can control the TV with the correct code, then set the "global volume lock" or whatever it's called in the manual so that the remote always controls the TV volume.

If you have an AVR, you can set the remote to control the AVR volume instead, after you've programmed in the code for the AVR (this is instead of the TV, not in addition to it)

The variable volume on this STB only controls the analogue audio cable output (red/white). You could use those along with component video cables and then you'd have the STB able to control the volume, but the audio quality may suffer a bit because this affects the signal to noise (S/N) ratio. (Some of the new Pace STBs allow for volume control on the digital outputs.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW - i wanted to ask....it seems as though with the DRC800 remote that to change the TV volume and power the TV on/off i will have to first change the input from cable to TV before these buttons work....this is what happened when i followed the instructions. is there a way that i can use the power button to power both the TV and DVR unit off with one touch and change the TV volume without switching the input to TV?? its only an extra button but would like to simplify if at all possible

the DRC800 instructions do not mention the "global volume lock" function that is available on other remotes including the one usually supplied by cogeco...as a matter of fact - the instructions with the DRC800 seem pretty limited

thanks again

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
The PDF link in post 5 instructions has a section on changing volume lock. It doesn't seem to do "one button power" though, although other remotes do. Perhaps you could swap out the remote for a newer model?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks 57...will give it another shot tonight but i am pretty sure that with those instructions i still have to change the input to TV before i can change the volume.

bj

1 - 10 of 10 Posts