Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any VoIP providers capable of porting Victoria numbers that are nice and cheap? Voip.ms can't, Fongo can't, it looks like Primus could but I don't want to spend that kind of money.

I can get new numbers, but porting the old numbers it seems most can't. Tired of paying Shaw large amounts of money for a phone number we barely use but keep because it's the family some 50+yrs now. It's the defacto emergency number.

Thanks,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hum, have you looked at providers @ www.gonevoip.ca ? I'm not sure who can port, but in there they show the Canadian provinces where's availability. As far as I can tell looks like a lot/most providers have BC.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What I'd like to know is what determines whether a number can be ported or not? I'm in Coquitlam and it looks like my number cannot be ported as well.... at least that's what the ooma website said.

·
Registered
877 Posts
VoIP service providers wholesale SIP traffic from "carriers", companies that have equipment that connects to the PSTN and converts it to IP. Judging by Ooma's coverage, it looks like they work with Iristel and Fibernetics, and as far as I am aware neither of those carriers have presence in the Port Coquitlam or Port Moody rate centres. (Coquitlam is not a rate centre.)

AcroVoice should be able to port your number. If you're in Port Coquitlam, VoIP.ms should be able to as well. To check your rate centre, go here:

http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php
NPA = your area code
NXX = next three digits of your phone number

·
Registered
877 Posts
I forgot to answer the OP's question. In the Victoria BC rate centre, you should be able to port to AcroVoice (full service) or Anveo (DIY).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just wanted to mention that Anveo can issue and/or port Victoria numbers because the test number they issued me is from Victoria.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.