Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Any ideas why there would be popping sounds and tones like dial tones on the line. This is on the Opposite end of the line, the ATA / VOP-MS line.

I also had a mysterious call from SHAW TELECOM IN from Calgary on this line for some reason. The wife answered and nobody was there. This number has never been given out, not sure why they would be calling it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
just ordered a new line from them (DID) i seem to have an increase in telemarketing calls.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Any ideas why there would be popping sounds and tones like dial tones on the line. This is on the Opposite end of the line, the ATA / VOP-MS line.
That's generally due to DTMF that's too touchy and interprets some voice frequencies as buttons puched and sends a button pushed signal instead of that piece of voice. I switched DTMF mode to INBAND on both my ATA and my voip.ms advanced account settings that that hasn't happened to me since. Haven't had any problems getting touch tone systems to recognize buttons pushed either.

I also had a mysterious call from SHAW TELECOM IN from Calgary on this line for some reason. The wife answered and nobody was there. This number has never been given out, not sure why they would be calling it.
Some telemarketers like to war dial some number ranges, cell and voip number ranges being especially popular. The great thing with voip.ms is that you don't have to receive a call from a specific telemarketer more than once. Once you know you never want a specific number to call you again just route it directly to a "number not in service" message using the voip.ms callerID filtering system.

For example I have filtered out the following three numbers, which are well-known scammers: 2142790990, 3069862442 and 5146718989.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

DTMF mode set to INBAND in the VOIPMS advanced account settings and DTMF tx Mode set on the ATA to INBAND as well. We shal see if that helps.

Is there a way to backup all the settings?

I don't think that was a Shaw telemarketer the conspiracy theorist in me was thinking it was them checking up on the traffic of their connection or something. My cable and phone with them is cancelled as of May 10th.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Might want to add 3862333694; the infamous "CARD SERVICES" people.

Does anyone have a good list of Telemarketers to block? Maybe we could start to build a list!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That DTFM thing worked like a charm thanks again Gimli for the tip!

I just have one last issue with slight dropouts on the sound. I do have QOS enabled on my router but am planning on upgrading to a newer faster one soon so hopefully that will help unless there are any other tips on tweaking the PAP2 and / or voip.ms account.

I will put in my number port request in today as well It needs to be done by May 10th.

Thx

J0dest3r

1 - 6 of 6 Posts