Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am just wondering if anyone is having problems with the Toronto servers with voip.ms? I seem to be getting bad call quality with sound cutting out and or no dial tone when trying to make calls. I have been a customer for about a month and have not had problems till yesterday. I sent them an email yesterday about the problem but I still have not gotten a response. I have ran a ping and speed test and my results are good......so I am guessing it is a voip.ms problem. I am also using there value service.

Thanks.....

·
Registered
877 Posts
Do you have sound quality issues with the echo test? (Dial 4443)
Do you have a DID? Does it also have sound quality issues?
Do you have sound quality issues with premium routing?

Testing these things will help determine where the problem is.

m.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From voip.ms site - Yesterday's situation should be resolved now.

November 19, 2010, 11:53 am

Equipment in Toronto is currently unreachable, we've rerouted all traffic Inbound and Outbound to Montreal 2. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We'll provide updates as we receive them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The echo test seems to be working great!
I have not yet ordered a DID since I am still testing out the voip.ms service but I will be ordering one soon.
I have not yet tested with the premium routing! I will give that a shot but first I am going to try and change my server from the toronto server to the montreal one! Other then that I have setup QoS through my router

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I have tryed different servers and my girlfriend still says the people that she is talking to are saying the call quality isn't that great. I have tryed switching servers from Toronto to montreal with still no improvements. I was using the value service but I have now changed to premium. My girlfriend has talked to two different people now and said he quality is good so far. I was hoping the value service was going to be good enough since it is cheaper. I will post back if I have any other problems!

Thanks.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
In fairness, the provider is part of the voip equation; voip devices ( hardware/software ), codecs, and connectivity are other parts that need to be considered as well. I have had great success with voip.ms value routing using an spa3102 gateway on 'broadband' as well as using Counterpath's Bria iPhone* Edition on both wifi and 3g networks. On the other hand, Fring's iphone application and quality of call is disappointing by comparison.

I guess my point is, we can't really talk about the line quality of a BYOD voip provider, without also discussing the device? Perhaps a voip device forum might be setup here on Digital Home.

*f.y.i. an ipad with 3g, bria, voip.ms and a (bluetooth) headset makes for an interesting option as well, considering that 3g only packages (hint hint..laptop dongles, etc.) are available from the carriers.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
^^^^
Further, any VoIP that passes over the public internet may have call quality issues.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Voip.ms Problems December

December 6, 2010, 2:56 pm

We experienced a few hiccup with Toronto-1/2 and Montreal-2 today. This could have resulted for you in dropped calls and delay when placing a call. We're currently investigating what caused this issue and we'll work this night on the 2 servers to apply a fix. We do not expect service interruption on our upgrades to fix the stability issues. We apologize for the inconvenience.
From the Voip.ms site

1 - 8 of 8 Posts