Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm definitely wanting to try out voip.ms on my cell phone (running Android), and am a bit confused on what all I'd need to get this working.

I've set up a voip.ms account and a DID number. On my phone, I downloaded 3CXPhone. There wasn't a lot of configuration options in the program itself, but I finally got it to register with the toronto.voip.ms SIP server.

I tried doing a test call over my home wireless connection and it was a disaster (long delay, voice cut out a lot). That of course doesn't bode well for me trying to use this over a cellular link if I'm on the go.

Just curious if I'm expecting too much (will voip.ms only work over Wi-Fi), or if there's something else I'm missing. I don't have an ATA adapter at home as I thought all I'd need was a softphone (like 3CXPhone).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use the BRIA app on an iPod Touch over WiFI with Voip.ms and it works OK.

Check your choice of codec - if you don't have enough bandwidth you need to use a GSM or G729A Codec rather than the common default G711u/a codecs.

(You may also want to limit bandwidth if you are paying data charges.)

ping a few of the Voip.ms servers at different times of day - Toronto may not be your best choice for packet delays.

Also google for reports about your ISP and VoIP compatibility. (I once had a problem with an ISP blocking port 5060 SIP Connect requests - presumably to promote their own VoIP service).

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
That would depend on where the peering points (where internet carriers and ISPs exchange data) are. It wouldn't help to use Seattle if the peering point was on the other side of the country and had to make a long trip. The peering point in Toronto is at 151 Front St. W., but not all companies are in there. IIRC, Bell isn't, for example.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts