Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 2800 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
The SPA-3102 (which replaced the SPA-3000) has 1 FXS port and 1 FXO port. The SPA-2102 has 2 FXS ports. The FXS port is for connecting analog telephones and the FXO port is for connecting to a phone line.

Why would you want an FXO port if you're planning on using VoIP? Well, perhaps you still have an analog phone line and you want to route local calls over the analog line and long distance over VoIP. Or perhaps you want to have the device automatically fail over to the analog line when the power is out or your internet connection is down. If either of these might be the case, then you should get the 3102.

Or, perhaps you don't plan to use an analog phone line and want a device that supports two VoIP lines. In that case, you should get the 2102. The 2102 is similar to the PAP2T except the 2102 also has a router. Check post #82 in this thread for some experiments aooa did with this model.

m.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mango... just tried calling work and leaving myself a message but no problem with quality of the call and my recording.. I'm connected to Toronto server...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just signed up with voip.ms , I haven't bought a incoming number yet, I have a POTs line thats going to be connected on the 31th when my Bell digital gets disconnected as a back up cuz I wasn't sure of what voip service to go with.
Any way I experimented calling out with value and permium rate codecs and the sound quality sounds about the same other then I noticed with value rate when I made a call to another phone in the house there is 1 second delay , I can hear the other person talking far room then a second later I hear them on the phone, if I wasn't calling another phone in the house I wouldn't have really noticed the delay.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mango said:
Having the problem on premium and value routes on the Toronto and Montreal servers but not the Los Angeles server.
The poor sound quality issue has been sorted. I spoke to Stephen in Live Chat who made a change to my routing, which immediately solved the problem. Yippee! :D

·
Registered
877 Posts
They have multiple carriers, so I assume they set up my account to use a different carrier. In this case, routing is "how the call gets where it's going once it leaves VoIP.ms' server."

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yikes :eek:

No problems here, since Stef fixed my routing. I tried the usual suspects. (Value and premium routes on the Canadian servers.)

m.

·
Registered
569 Posts
All good here too. I only have termination (DID port in progress), but no problems making calls. I'm reg'd on the New York server, which was set as the default.

·
Registered
555 Posts
3 or 4 days ago, I switched from Montreal server to Toronto server as the ping times were shorter. 2 days ago, my phone did not get a dialtone. I thought it was odd. I could ping the Toronto server but no dialtone. I switched back to the Montreal server, and dialtone was back. So, I guess I'll stick with the Montreal server.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yikes :eek:

No problems here, since Stef fixed my routing. I tried the usual suspects. (Value and premium routes on the Canadian servers.)

m.
After a bit more experimentation, it turned out that it was just taking a long time (>10s) for the outgoing ring to happen, even with an appended #. This morning it seems to have cleared up.

Not sure what happened.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is there any way to make voicemail easier to access? With my Primus TBB service I just press *98 and enter my password. When I press *98 with VOIP.ms, I need to enter a mailbox # and password. I only have 1 mailbox and my wife wants an easier way to access it. Can it be configured with a dial plan?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Is there any way to make voicemail easier to access? With my Primus TBB service I just press *98 and enter my password. When I press *98 with VOIP.ms, I need to enter a mailbox # and password. I only have 1 mailbox and my wife wants an easier way to access it. Can it be configured with a dial plan?
Primus TBB was even nicer in that you could configure house-side access so that the password was not even required.

The best I can suggest on voip.ms is to configure a speed dial using the *97+five digit mailbox number. (*9712345 will dial mailbox 12345). Then, you just need a password.

·
Registered
877 Posts
mot_guy said:
Can [voicemail access] be configured with a dial plan?
Additionally, it can indeed be configured with a dial plan, using a sequence like this. Unfortunately I know of no way to disable the password.

<*98:*97[mailbox number]>S0

·
Registered
83 Posts
Additionally, it can indeed be configured with a dial plan, using a sequence like this. Unfortunately I know of no way to disable the password.

<*98:*97[mailbox number]>S0
Thanks Mango, I'll try it when I get home tonight to see if it works.

101 - 120 of 2800 Posts