Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
81 - 100 of 2800 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Test while doing Newsgroup d/l

Just did an interesting test..

Using my spa-2102 (default QOS enabled) that's sitting behind of my Asus WL520gu router (bandwidth not optimized for VOIP). I started downloading from newsgroup going at over 300kbps (typical d/l speed)... I then started to call my work voicemail... voicemail greeting didn't affect download speed to much.. once I started recording my message, d/l speed went down to 0kbps.. I checked the voicemail and quality was very good.. my d/l speed didn't go back up to normal >300kbps until about 30sec after I hanged up..

I then changed my Asus router to optimize it for VOIP and redo the test.. this time d/l speed was not affected to much.. it went as low as 250kbps but only for a few seconds..

either way, when I replayed my recorded message I'm happy to say that it was clear and quality was good... eventually, once I they switch to cable internet and get rid of my POTs, I will be moving the SPA2102 in front of the Asus router... not sure if it's going to do anything but theoritically it's better placement so voip doesn't have to go through another router..

·
Registered
24 Posts
dial plan testing

So I went back to the factory default spa2102 dial plan

(*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

and modified it to the following

(*xx|[3469]11S0|0|00|[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|011[2-9]x.|1900xxxxxxx!)

I started to try dialing local and long distance #s.. what I noticed is that I do not need to dial 1 in front of long distance #s - I'm in toronto, and I'm calling BC with just the 10 digit number... why is that? If this is the case, then technically, I don't need the section 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0.. right?

·
Registered
877 Posts
From what I have read, phone companies traditionally used the "1" prefix for a few things, but one of them was to "turn on" billing for that call. VoIP.ms doesn't have a local calling area, you're just billed based on their termination rates. So, they don't require a "1" but they don't mind if you dial it.

These last few posts about dial plans have been great to read. :) I did not know (or perhaps I just forgot) the technique for blocking 900 calls. That'll be a good one for my bag of tricks.

m.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So I went back to the factory default spa2102 dial plan

(*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

and modified it to the following

(*xx|[3469]11S0|0|00|[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|011[2-9]x.|1900xxxxxxx!)

I started to try dialing local and long distance #s.. what I noticed is that I do not need to dial 1 in front of long distance #s - I'm in toronto, and I'm calling BC with just the 10 digit number... why is that? If this is the case, then technically, I don't need the section 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0.. right?
Aooa, could you explain what the different parts of your dial plan string do?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Aooa, could you explain what the different parts of your dial plan string do?
I gave the answer in the 1st 'code' box in post #79 above.

For the 911 - I notice the samples on the web doesn't add S0, is there any point in adding S0 or as soon as 911 match it will dial it right away and skip trying to match with the rest of the dial plan?
I think it would immediately match, so 'S0' is probably redundant, but it won't do any harm to leave it there. Note that you must have e911 enabled @ voip.ms for this to be accepted.

I'm in GTA so for me, local area codes are 416, 905, 647.. other area codes would be long distance and should require a 1 in front.. based on this, is it better to individually add 416xxxxxxx, 905xxxxxxx, 647xxxxxxx or keep it generic with [2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx.. guess benefit with generic is to accomodate future new local area codes..
To reduce processing time (delays), it's beneficial to have the shortest, most-efficient dial plan possible. For that reason, I'd recommend using a single [2-9]xxxxxxSO, since it will automatically match to not only your local area codes, but also long-distance ones.

Mango raises (another) good point here, in that voip services don't care about the '1' prefix, so we could even drop the entire 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 part of the string.

Also consider that caller ID only delivers 10 digits, so if you're saving call log info into a directory or speed-dial button, there's no need to edit to add the '1' prefix.

if I wanted to mimic a regular POTS line that has no restriction, would it be just (x.)?
I guess so, hence I'm not completely sure why they'd extend that to xxxxxxxxxxxx. in your original dial plan.

PS: I'm going to add 911 to my string too, but a quick test to my office voice mail showed an instant and substantial reduction in the delay.

I had my home office phone programmed to call my work office voice mail using [phone #] <3 pauses> [mailbox #] '#' [passcode] '#'

With the old dial plan, the phone was sending the mailbox and passcode before the ATA had dialed the call. Since my phone limits directory #'s to 24-digits, I had to remove the mailbox/passcode and enter these manually.

Using the new dial plan, I could use the sequence as originally programed in my phone.

Life is good again!, happy trails ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
mot_guy,

the dial plan is actually parts from the one that came factory defautl from linksys and parts from APN's post.. but here it is..

*xx - this is for linksys router phone commands
[3469]11S0 - this is to allow 311,411,611,or 911. I added S0 thinking that it will force it to dial these #s right away - but I'm not sure if it's actually makes a difference or not.. guess it doesn't hurt
0 - operator
00 - not sure what it's for but I just cont to use it from the original linksys dial plan
[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 - allow any 10 digit local dialing where 3 digit area code starts with a number between 2-9 and where 7 digit tel # also starts with a number between 2-9. S0 again means dial immediately after matching this string.
1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 - same as above except long distance with the 1 in front
011[2-9]x. - for international calls, allow calls to 011 + any tel number with area code starting with a number between 2-9, "x." means the tel number can be any number of digits - some countries still have only 6 digits local tel numbers..
1900xxxxxxx! - block any calls that starts with 1900 + any 7 digits

hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
apn -

if I'm understanding how dial plans work correctly.. if I dial 311, 411, 611, or 911, doesn't that match both [3469]11 and [2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 strings?

I know there's no area code 311,411,611,911 but technically it still match the [2-9]xx part of the 2nd string and the system would wait to see if user presses the next set of digits [2-9]xxxxxx or not before dialing?

for the 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 - I just realized that if I take this out, then if someone else in the house who is used to dialing long distance with a 1 in front won't be allowed to dial out... i guess it's a good way to prevent your house guest from calling long distance without you knowing :) but then again rates are so cheap with voip.ms, it doesn't matter... :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
if I'm understanding how dial plans work correctly.. if I dial 311, 411, 611, or 911, doesn't that match both [3469]11 and [2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 strings?

I know there's no area code 311,411,611,911 but technically it still match the [2-9]xx part of the 2nd string and the system would wait to see if user presses the next set of digits [2-9]xxxxxx or not before dialing?
Yes it will match both strings, but given the choice of a full match to x11 and only a partial match to the longer string, I'd expect the software to go with the full match and start dialing (string matching is about length AND character matching). However, adding 'SO' will simply force your preference - you don't want to delay those 911 calls!

...for the 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 - I just realized that if I take this out, then if someone else in the house who is used to dialing long distance with a 1 in front won't be allowed to dial out...
This is one of the reasons I'm leaving it in. Others being;

1. All my phones are pre-programmed with 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX, which I don't want to change.
2. If visiting family/friends want to use the phone.
3. If I change providers, they may force the '1' prefix.

There are so many valid reasons to keep that string, it's worth the extra milliseconds in processing time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Aooa, thanks for explaining the dial plan breakdown. I've only started playing with all of this since yesterday so it's all new to me. Great discussion here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Caller ID configuration

I've been trying to set my Caller ID information on the SPA2102 configuration screen without success.

I'm currently clicking Voice-->Line 1-->"Subscriber Information"-->"User ID" and entering my VOIP number instead of my currently listed subscriber ID. When I do that, I no longer get a dial tone. If I enter my subscriber ID, my dial tone comes back but my caller ID info shows my 6 digit Sub-ID number instead of my phone number.

Is this the correct location to set this or do I need to do it somewhere on VOIP.ms configuration screens?

·
Registered
877 Posts
For some reason you can't set Caller ID Number with most ATAs; you need to set outgoing Caller ID from within "Manage Sub Accounts" (or "Account Settings" for the main account) on VoIP.ms' website.

You CAN however set Caller ID Name with your ATA.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For some reason you can't set Caller ID Number with most ATAs; you need to set outgoing Caller ID from within "Manage Sub Accounts" (or "Account Settings" for the main account) on VoIP.ms' website.

You CAN however set Caller ID Name with your ATA.
That did the trick.

Now if I could figure out why I can place calls but not receive any. If I dial my voip number, I get a fast busy response. If I enable voicemail, it transfers to voicemail and never rings. I have my Linksys SPA2102 behind my WRT54GL and I have added ports 5060 UDP and 10001-20000 UDP forwarding to my device.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mot_guy,

not sure if the issue with receiving call is the same issue I had but in your voip.ms account, did you set you DID Point of Presence to the correct server? When I setup my account it was set to the US server which did not allow me to receive any calls, once I set it to the correct Toronto server, I had no problem receiving calls..

·
Banned
179 Posts
You guys lost me with all that script.

Anyways, with SPA2102 can you setup distinctive ring settings with voip.ms?

I just plunked in two numbers in Ring1Caller and Ring2Caller. Don't think it did a thing?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mot_guy,

not sure if the issue with receiving call is the same issue I had but in your voip.ms account, did you set you DID Point of Presence to the correct server? When I setup my account it was set to the US server which did not allow me to receive any calls, once I set it to the correct Toronto server, I had no problem receiving calls..
Tried setting it to the Toronto server but it made no difference.

·
Registered
877 Posts
mot_guy said:
Now if I could figure out why I can place calls but not receive any.
Did your device register properly? Check the Account Information page (if you're using the main account) or the Sub Accounts Diagnostic page (if you're using a sub account). It should tell you whether or not your device is registered, what sever it's registered to, and when the next registration is expected.

Try placing a call to your VoIP.ms number 5-10 seconds after registration. If it works, and it does not work if you wait, say, 5-10 minutes after registration, this would indicate a NAT issue.

Speaking of NAT, I have lost track of everyone's setup, but if your device is behind a router, be sure to turn on NAT on VoIP.ms' website and NAT Keep Alive and NAT Mapping on your device. Also, I'm sure you've done this already, but be sure you haven't accidentally routed your DID to the main account if you are using a sub account and vice versa.

holymoly said:
I just plunked in two numbers in Ring1Caller and Ring2Caller. Don't think it did a thing?
What you tried should work. Did you enter the full 10-digit number with no punctuation? If you check the regional tab, are the Distinctive Ring Patterns all different?

m.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Under the Account information page I have:

Server Location State IP/Port Next Registration
sip.ca2 Toronto, Canada Registered xx.x.xx.xx:5060 2009-03-01 13:29:15

On the Sub Accounts SIP Registration State I have a "No registration found" state so this is where my problem is.

I resolved it by going into the SPA2102 and changing my Subscriber Information UserID to the one I created in the sub account management.

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure I would have noticed that the sub account name was different than my main account info.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I was looking at Cisco's website today and discovered that they've improved their administration guides quite a bit. I thought the old Linksys ones were a little bit difficult to understand, but these new ones are great. I learned some new dial plan stuff :D

Note that these are EXAMPLES only and not complete dial plans. If you're after a complete dial plan, look at aooa and apn's posts above.

( xxxx | [2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx )
If the first and fourth digits are not 0 or 1: wait exactly three seconds to see if the caller is going to dial anything else after the first four digits. If they have not dialed anything by the time three seconds are up, place the call.
If the first or fourth digit IS 0 or 1: place the call immediately as soon as four digits are dialed (even though S0 is not specified) because there is no possible way to match any other portion of the dial plan.

( x. )
The dot actually means "zero or more of the previous digit", not one or more as mentioned in the tutorial I linked. After a three second pause in dialing, the system assumes you're finished. So, the caller must not wait more than three seconds in between numbers. Because the dot means zero or more and there is only an x in front of it, this dial plan also matches no number at all. For this reason, the caller must begin to dial within three seconds of picking up the handset.

( [2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx )
North American ten-digit dialing. Additionally, the system will place the call if less than ten digits are dialed (assuming the first and fourth are 2-9) after waiting ten seconds.

S4, L7 ( [dial plan goes here] )
Change the short timeout from three seconds to four seconds and the long timeout from ten seconds to seven seconds. Note that if S is used outside the parentheses, it may be up to 15 seconds. If S is used at the end of a particular sequence inside a dial plan, it may only be 0. These may also be set on the Regional tab.

( P10 | [dial plan goes here] )
Allow the caller to have the handset off the hook for ten seconds before they begin to dial. (Default is five seconds.)

( [2-9]xx,[2-9]xxxxxx )
North American ten-digit dialing. Play a dial tone after the area code is dialed.

( <:[your area code here]>[2-9]xxxxxx | 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx )
North American seven-digit dialing. If the dialed number does not begin with a 1, place the call as soon as seven digits are dialed, and add the area code in front. For calls not in your area code, you must dial 1 first. Note that you should not combine seven and ten digit dialing because it might work. :D

( <x,:>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx )
Play a dial tone after the first digit is dialed. Do not send the first digit, send only the last ten digits.

( <123:[VoIP.ms Username]@[phone's internal IP address]> )
When 123 is dialed, call the SIP URI of some other device in your network. This is a better technique than using VoIP.ms' internal extensions because your call is not routed through the Internet so there is nearly no latency.

( <:4443>S0 )
Hotline this device to the echo test. I'm not sure why the S0 is necessary as it there is no possible way to match any dialing here. But if it is removed, the caller hears a dial tone for 3 seconds. If you do dial a number, you hear a reorder (fast busy) tone.

aooa said:
i guess it's a good way to prevent your house guest from calling long distance without you knowing :)
Yep, you sure got to keep an eye on those pesky house guests :D But why stop there? Why not set a password using your dial plan?!?
( 604[2-9]xxxxxx | <12345:>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx | [2-57-9][1-9][0-35-9][2-9]xxxxxx! )
Allow calls to area code 604 only. Allow other area codes if password 12345 is entered. The last sequence disallows non-604 area codes if they are dialed without the password. The reason this last sequence is necessary is without it, you would hear a reorder (fast busy) tone the moment you dialed a number not in the password, making the password fairly easy to guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was out checking my local computer shops and one store had unlocked linksys VoIP adapters they have two models in stock SPA-3102 and SPA-2102 there is only a ten dollar difference in price so which one should use for voip.ms and what benefits would I have from either one? they have PAP2T as a special order some one recommended that one to me, which one should I go with?

Thanks!

81 - 100 of 2800 Posts