Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was so excited to see that progress had apparently been made, and now it is apparently lost again. I don't think the Voip.MS team is taking the issue seriously enough - at least not the agent who I've been talking to.

Some Ontario government agencies who are only available via toll-free - ie. they don't give out local 416-xxx or 905-xxx numbers.

I hope there is a solution soon...

-- Phob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agree, broken

I had this problem with Elections Ontario (similar to TeleHealth Ontario, allows only Ontario-based incoming calls). I reported it initially on Sept 15, and first got the response that the problem was restrictions placed by the owner of the number. Then, magically, on Sept 27 the number started to work. I wrote to voip.ms support to tell them that it was good now.

Then, it broke again. I re-opened my ticket, and got the following reply:

Dear Customer,

Please notice that as we mention before the issue is happening because of the restriction impose by the number owners and we have made all reasonable tests and efforts to try to solve this, but is unfortunately beyond our hands how an owner of a given number may decide to filter their incoming calls.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Well, honestly, I don't comprehend it! I tested the ANI, and got calling ANI 905 (correct) and charge ANI 519 (the problem???). I responded that their reply above is unacceptable, and I expect a fix.

We'll see what happens.

Pauline

·
Registered
11 Posts
^Got the same generic reply. I bet they didn't test anything and they are blaming it on the receiving end when clearly there is an issue with the ANI...

·
Registered
48 Posts
pmosher,

I got much the same response - I indicated that it was unacceptable as well.

I hope they can fix this - I don't know why the ANI doesn't match - it does with my Bell PRI service at the office...

Interestingly, my Rogers cell phone doesn't have a "caller ANI", just a 416-xxx "charge ANI". My Bell cell phone correctly has my mobile number as the "caller ANI", then has a 647-xxx "charge ANI".

I guess maybe it is normal for them not to match, but not normal for them to be from a different geographical region.

-- Phob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Phob --

Here is the latest response I got to my "this is not acceptable" complaint:

Our Management is following this situation closely and gathering more information in the case there is something we can do, at the moment we can not guarantee this service from our system. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Based on that, maybe we'll see some improvement with the dysfunctional toll-free system. I've closed my ticket for now, but can always reopen, I suppose, if nothing happens.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got something similar this morning. I've already written a strong reply (re-opening the ticket) and asked for my comments to be forwarded to senior management, as well as to have Management follow up with me.

I don't think they "get" how serious this issue is... At the very least, they need to send out a message to all of their subscribers notifying them of the limitation so they can make an informed decision about keeping their services with them, or to have a backup option like a cellular phone on hand.

You can't just assume that people have another option. I know with 911 service there was always a lot of communication, but this needs attention too IMHO.

-- Phob

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Hmm, I can no longer get Telehealth Ontario yet I could months ago.

I conceptually understand the issue. I see that our "ANI" is 514-xxx-xxxx when it should really be our VoIP number so the question is, can a user change their ANI or is that something VoIP.ms would have to do?

I was thinking of using VoIP.ms for home as well but this has frozen that idea. I can live with it for a business line but not my home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got test accounts with Callcentric and Voip.ms using an SPA2102. I was planning to switch my home POTS line to VOIP. I think Vonage is too pricy and handcuffy plus I like the ability to block specific number (ie. telemarketers). I have a ticket with Voip.ms about Telehealth as well. My experience with their support is similar to the other posters here.

However yesterday and as of right now I *can* call successfully to Telehealth via my Callcentric line. So the only other issue for a home/family user is the 911 situation. Don't know if that would be better with Vonage. Hope this info is useful to someone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hugh - the ANI is a carrier side setting. In this case, it seems to be out of Voip.MS' control too as the support tickets I've had indicate that their toll-free provider has been engaged for a fix.

-- Phob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nope, still no-go for me. I'm on the Chicago server, have a 905-xxx caller ID, can't reach these "Ontario only" numbers (like Telehealth). I've tried value and premium routing for toll free, no difference. Account set for Canadian toll free server.

MCI ANI verification service says calling ANI is my 905 number and charge ANI is a 514 number, although the charge ANI is different depending on the value/premium setting. Premium sound quality is noticeably better when listening to the MCI recorded voice, BTW.

Thanks -- Pauline

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some more confusing findings

Just to make things a little murkier, I tried the following combination:

Chicago server
Premium toll free routing
American carrier for toll free

Results in calling and charge ANIs both being my 905 number, but I still can't reach the Telehealth number! At least the rejection message is in English instead of French.

Conclusion: voip.ms toll free system is still dysfunctional. Perhaps it's no worse than some other voip providers', but it's still disappointing, especially since some of these toll free destinations don't readily provide non-toll-free alternatives.

Pauline

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Mango, saw your post and tried it. Doesn't work for me and I am on the Toronto server. I also get the French message first.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I didn't test thoroughly enough. My Charge ANI is only correct when my Caller ID is set to a Vancouver DID from the carrier Distributel. If my Caller ID is a DID from another carrier, or a non-Vancouver Distributel DID, it does not work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mango, note that even with the calling and charge ANI's apparently correct (see my post #54 above), I cannot reach Telehealth Ontario with my 905 caller ID. Of course, this happy state of affairs (matching and seemingly correct ANI's) can only be accomplished with voip.ms by using an American toll free carrier, so this may be contributing to the problem somehow.

I guess there's more to this than meets the eye.

Pauline

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a good explanation of ANI and how it all works?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brief overview of ANI

There are three types of ANI you'll see when placing calls over the PSTN.

Calling ANI - this is an identifier of who is calling, set by the telco and not usually user-configurable

Charge ANI - this is who pays for the call, usually the BTN (billing telephone number) of the customer's account

ANI II - this is a two digit code that identifies information about the call, such as whether it's a plain telephone line, a mobile phone, payphone call, a call from a prison, etc.

When you call a toll free number, the Charge ANI is used to determine who needs to be compensated for the call. The telco that provides the toll free service the caller dialed will pay the telco that owns the Charge ANI for routing the call to them.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks for this post. If you don't mind some interrogation :) I'd be curious to know more.

Is Calling ANI always the same as Caller ID Number or can it be different?

It appears that (for example) Telehealth Ontario is using the Charge ANI to determine where a call is coming from. Would it be technically possible/practical for a VoIP provider to have a BTN in each province, and decide which one to use based on the customer's Caller ID?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts