Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have just registered with voip.ms (due to having read good reviews about it here) and am in the process of obtaining a toll-free DID from them.

In the meantime I've experimented with making some outgoing calls using a softphone (3CX Phone currently). I'm trying to figure out how I can send out a Caller ID Name along with he Caller ID number when placing calls. The voip.ms website only seems to have a number option with no name, and the voip.ms wiki appears to indicate that the name can't be set using the web interface.

So what I'm wanting to know is how I can set the name as well as the number (I'm mainly concerned with outgoing calls within Canada but it would be nice if calls to the USA would also be covered--though from reading online it appears they use a central database of some kind). I'm open to using other softphone software and will likely (eventually) be purchasing an ATA or IP phone.

Sorry for the lengthy post for what it seems to be should be a simple question, just wanted to be sure it's clear what my situation is.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The caller I'd name is sent by the ATA or softphone, it's not a VoIP.ms setting. I don't have a softphone, but i would guess that there is a web interface that you can get to, and it will be in there somewhere.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, I got it to work on both my ATA (I bought an SPA2102) as well as on my softphone (free 3CX Phone Windows app)

·
Registered
230 Posts
to pjreid

Just curious if you have a wireless router did you install the SPA2102 before or after the router?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got it installed before the router, although I have it set up in Bridge mode so the router and the SPA2102 each have their own IP address from my internet provider (Rogers). The only catch to this is that in Bridge mode you can't access the web interface for the SPA2102 over the local network; you have to turn on the WAN web interface and access it from the external IP address.

So as to prevent unauthorized access to my SPA2102 after getting it configured I've turned off the WAN web interface access (I can reactivate it as needed by dialing **** on the local phone, and then using the IVR to turn it on).

Haven't used it a bunch as this is my first day using it exclusively for home phone, but unless I have problems (ie. dropped or mangled calls) I'll probably keep it this way; if I do start having problems I may experiment with NAT (and putting the SPA2102 behind the router instead) and QoS.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i use 3cx for softphone.. I set my caller Number on the portal but for the callername it has to go on the softphone under caller id.. the second box after your account number.. tested and works :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts