Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can comment on a problem that I have been having with voip.ms?

I have been having problems with my PAP2T not ringing busy when I call destinations that are, well, busy -- or off-hook. My ATA, a PAP2T, seems to timeout after 5-10 seconds and produces a reorder tone when calling a known busy line. I have turned the SIP debug on to FULL and found that on a "busy" line the server is returning a 503 Service Unavailable message, instead of a 486 Busy Here response. According to RFC3261, a SIP 503 Service Unavailable message means "The server is temporarily unable to process the request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server." I assume, a "busy" line would not fall under this category.

This issue can be reproduced on my ATA, as well as, on a softphone X-Lite. The only thing I haven't tried is moving networks, although I don't know how that would change the results. Voip.ms do acknowledge in the logs that these numbers where "BUSY" when dialled. The interesting part is when I use the CallerID Filtering and route my DID to the internal feature "BUSY" and call my DID number, I do indeed get a Busy Tone (and a 486 Busy Here response).

Talking to a tech rep they stated that their system considers a 503 message as "BUSY" as well. Is this correct? Can you interchange a 503 and 486 SIP message for a BUSY line?

Has anyone experienced this and is there a workaround? My thinking on a busy and re-order tone are completely separate and not interchangeable.

·
Registered
217 Posts
One of my friends is having similar issues, i.e. dead air when dialing a number that is busy. His account is currently configured to communicate with one of the Toronto servers, what server is your account on Swearnger?

As of 2 weeks ago I also have an account on the Toronto server, however I haven't encountered a busy tone or dead air yet. is there a test number you can call that will give you a busy tone? I've tried testing with with my office and cellphone, but both have call waiting configured.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried Toronto, Montreal, and Chicago servers.. same result.. Give 951.823.1300 a try... its a off-hook test line..

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'll try calling that number with my PAP2-NA ATA & XLITE softphone when I get home. I have the feeling I'm going to get the same results.

I just looked at the SIP RFC, and I agree that SIP code 503 should not be used to indicate that the remote phone is busy. Looks like there might be some issues at the VOIP.MS end.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Give 951.823.1300 a try... its a off-hook test line..
I tried calling that number
PAP2: Fast busy
X-Lite: Fast busy (sounds a bit different than the pap2)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts