Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
The info in this thread is great.

The first thing is always to create your voip.ms account, transfer some money into it via paypal and then to order your DID's or initiate a DID transfer (normally $10 but they currently have a free promo on it). As it takes a few days.

For the hardware config, don't forget that voip.ms also has a number of configuration guides. I used their guide on the Obi100 and was up and running in minutes.

http://wiki.voip.ms/article/OBi_100/110

Cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmm... not sure why but after setting everything up with my Cisco SPA112 and voip.ms when I call out my number is prefixed always with 011

Anyway to get rid of it? I only entered in my 10 digital number when doing the config.

thanks.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you only have your 10 digit phone number in the CallerID Number field under Account Settings -> General then you will likely need to look through all of the possible SPA112 settings that could be adding a prefix.

I wonder what you would see if you leave the CallerID field blank in your voip.ms settings.

·
Registered
107 Posts
could it be my dialing plan?

I am using this (suggested on this thread)

(<:1905>[2-9]xxxxxx|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|*xx|*xx.|[34689]11|822|4443|4747|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|4XXX|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

·
Registered
629 Posts
VOIP.ms - Obi110 setup

I've got this set up running fine for me at home. SP1 is voip.ms and SP2 is still google voice, even though it's supposed to be defunct. I set this up for my dad at his place with his own Obi110. Same exact setup. His number transferred over from Rogers today. I can call him and the call goes through. But when he calls out his call doesn't go through. The error response code he's getting is 488. voip.ms says this code means: 488 Not Acceptable Here. I copied my settings exactly, so I'm not sure what I missed. Oh and he can make calls using SP2 by dialing **2 before the number. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
877 Posts
You've learned a lesson in why you should test your configuration to make sure it works, before you port your number. ;)

It would be much easier for VoIP.ms to troubleshoot this, as they can look at the SIP Debug and see exactly what is wrong. I am just guessing, but here are some things to try. I'm assuming you use the main account and not a sub-account - if I'm wrong, adjust accordingly. On the VoIP.ms portal, navigate to Account Settings.

On the Account Restrictions tab, make sure all settings are appropriate, and that beside "Allow Calls to Countries" you see "All Countries Allowed".

On the Advanced tab, be sure NAT is set to yes, DTMF Mode is set to AUTO, and all the codecs are allowed. This error can be caused by codec mismatch, so I think this is a likely solution.

Is there any possibility your dad's router has a SIP ALG that is causing the problem? If you have a setting for SIP ALG on his router, disable it.

If none of that works, and you've compared your OBi configuration to his and are confident it matches, contact VoIP.ms again and ask for further assistance.

Let us know how things go.

m.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks Mango. Yes it's the main account. Everything up to the codecs section is how I have it setup. The only codec not checked is gsm, which is how i have it on mine. I'll check that one as well and see if that makes a difference.
As for the router tip, I'll check that next time I'm there, which will probably have to be soon if this doesn't work.
I'll send voip.ms a message as well.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Fixed. I set my dad's line up on my Obi as SP2 temporarily and it worked fine. They came home and tried calling me and calling out from their line was working. I didn't do anything. So maybe the transfer wasn't fully complete as of yet. Who knows. It works fine now.

One more Q. When I try to call the voip.ms echo test from my phone, I get an error: The number is rejected by the service provider. Reason is 484. The Obi echo test **9 222 222 222 works fine though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for share this information because recently I'masds use VoIP phone system so face this type of problem and not remember how to set up VoIP system. So now I'm easily install VoIP account.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi
I know this may be a simple question, but I'm having trouble getting a definitive answer.
If i use VOIP MS and get, for example, a Cisco Linksys PAP2T, can i then just plug my existing home phones into the PAP2T?
I have a regular Panasonic Dect 6.0. It has a base that plugs into a pots wall jack, with 5 other wireless phones throughout the house.
Will the functionality be the same as it is with pots?
IE: If someone dieals the VOIP MS number it will ring on all devices?
Any of the 6 phones can dial out?

AKS

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi
I know this may be a simple question, but I'm having trouble getting a definitive answer.
If i use VOIP MS and get, for example, a Cisco Linksys PAP2T, can i then just plug my existing home phones into the PAP2T?
I have a regular Panasonic Dect 6.0. It has a base that plugs into a pots wall jack, with 5 other wireless phones throughout the house.
Will the functionality be the same as it is with pots?
IE: If someone dieals the VOIP MS number it will ring on all devices?
Any of the 6 phones can dial out?

AKS
Yes. That's exactly what I have except my phones are VTech. There is a bit to learn and you would probably have a system a little less reliable that what you had (with the emphasis on "a little"). About once a year or so, I have to reboot my router or PAP2T to get it working again.

On the other hand, you should get extra features that you didn't have before like having your voicemails emailed to you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Phils
Any comments on the Cisco Linksys PAP2T?
If there is a better device, I don't mind spending the money.

This is all coming about because I'm going crazy with all the damn marketing calls and scams.
I read on DSL reports that you can use VOIP MS as a way of eliminating these calls.
The idea being, you direct incoming calls to an answering service.
It has a "white list" for numbers you know are good (family). If the incoming call matches the white list, the call is put through.
Any number not matching the list goes to a prompt. Press "1" to have the call go forward or it's automatically disconnected.
Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yes indeed - in fact connecting a base station to a VoIP ATA is the easiest way to do things. You can also connect your ATA to your household wiring - but that requires messing about with the demarc to disconnect your POTS line. Since you already have a DECT system, by all means use that.

The PAP2T has been EOL'd for quite some time. The latest version of the PAP/SPA devices are made by Obihai. The OBi100 or OBi200 (whichever you can get cheaper) should be perfect for use with your DECT system.

m.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Currently I am using voip.ms and knock on wood so far the service is excellent. I have cable internet 20/10 connection. I am using Cisco SPA122 in bridge mode connected behind the router. I have two voip services, Voip.ms for US and Canada and Callcentric outbound only, for Europe. On the router I forwarded the ports used by voip services. For Callcentric I connected dedicated Panasonic cordless phone. To voip.ms port I connected the entire house wiring.
If you want to port your number to voip.ms do it as per there instructions. DO NOT call Bell in advance. Porting takes a week.
Voip.ms has many servers. It is not true that closes is better. Ping and tracert few and see which one has the best ping and fewest hops. I am in Montreal. For me Toronto, not Montreal server works best.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Port forwarding is a security risk. Have you verified that it is absolutely necessary?

And if so, did you remember to set your SIP Ports to a high number between 20000 and 65535?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Every technical article I have read on that site has at least one error. Its author has no idea what he is talking about.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Those are not technical articles, but loose discussion. Most people here are not experts. The reader is encouraged to read through several posts and makeup his mind.
You have to understand that people come here from different backgrounds and with different knowledge and budgets.
Currently I have a crappy router, but I have what I have and I have to make it work. Perhaps it is not ideal, but it is what it is.
I have read your blog on restricted cone NAT router, and perhaps your right. More reading is needed. If you are more experienced on the subject than educate us, but don't knock us down.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is this what you were talking about. No I'm not, I just followed his advice.
I thought you were knocking my posts.
Being new to VOIP I take peaces of information wherever I can, and post what works for me.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts