Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all voip experts..

I'm in the process of moving into a new house, and i signed up for voip.ms.

I'm waiting for our internet to be set up sometime next week.

I have a PAP2T that i wanted to connect to the existing wiring so i can still use all the jacks.

Here are pics of what's in my basement (its a townhouse, if that matters)

Any guidance would be helpful, thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hmm, so this is how they're doing new construction now.

Looks like the traditional demarc point (grey box) has moved into your basement; possibly due to townhouse. It's nicely covering all the punch-down blocks.

Based on your pics, it looks like the external phone wiring comes from the Bell grey box to the rightmost punch-down strip in the white box. I'd also assume that the five white cables in the left-side punch-downs are connected to the various telephone outlets throughout the house.

Assuming that you won't have a live POTS line in the house, you could probably just connect a phone cable between the PAP2T L1 port and the "Extension" RJ45 socket above the yellow sticker.

However, for absolute security, I'd be inclined to either remove the CAT5e connections from the right side or cut the cable and insert a couple of standard junction boxes so that you have flexibility of using the external line or an ATA.

Here's a snapshot from my basement;

...where you can see that I can simply disconnect the ATA and connect a phone cable between the "Line In" and "House Lines" terminal boxes to re-establish POTS cabability.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great response apn,

so when you mean to remove the cat5e, its the punch down strip on the right side of the extension jack in the whtie box?

i think my other question is:

if i had my cable modem/router set up on another floor, how would i connect the pap2t to the internet? i do prefer the router near my desktop computer so that i have a wired connection. is there a way to connect the pap2t on another level through an existing jack?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
569 Posts
^ Correct, but before pulling or cutting any wires, I'd be inclined to check that plugging the ATA into the spare socket allows it to provide dialtone to your phones.

You raise an interesting question w.r.t. placing the ATA next to a router that isn't co-located w/ your demarc point.

This is tricky, because you (ideally) need a convergence point for the phone and ethernet networks. If you physically can't do this in your house, then you should use the telephone outlet in the same room as the router as the entry-point for your dialtone i.e. line from the ATA. If you also need a phone in that room, you can use a splitter, per my pic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again,

SO, if i understand correctly..

-check if i get dialtone from plugging ATA into expansion socket
-if so, i can probably unpluge the cat5e
-then, on the floor with my router, i can plug the ata into an existing jack, and use a
- splitter if i want a phone in that room as well. (i can't use L2?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
569 Posts
We're also assuming that you have cable internet; so if that's not correct, you need to adjust the plan; it gets more complicated if you're planning to have a dry-loop connection on that line.

You have everything right, and no, you can't use ATA L2, since the ATA is not a splitter, but is in fact two distinct ports i.e. lines. I use L2 for a 2nd line via a sub-account.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
you don't need to remove the RJ45 Port at all, you simply leave it connected, get an unused cat5e cable, plug it in, then simply only use the blue/blue white pair, and terminate that onto a rj11 telephone jack, then plug in a regular telephone line chord into the telephone jack then into your Voip Adapter, digital phone modem, what ever you are using for phone, and wala. phone service throughout the house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts