Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the major blackout of 2003, I was still able to communicate with family because Bell's lines carry their own power. Now I'm on voip.

I realize that with voip you need a UPS to plug your modem and ATA into, but what happens if you're using cable? Does anyone know if Rogers/Teksavvy is still up and running during a massive blackout?

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
A few separate comments:

Rogers Home Phone modem has an internal backup battery, which is good for about 3-5 hours.

Rogers has UPS on their system which keeps cable "alive" unless there is a massive outage that brings down "everything". During a short failure, I can keep running on my UPS, but as soon as the failure reaches about 5 minutes, I shut my computer down, so, yes, Rogers is usually up unless something really massive happens.

Cellphones are often used as backups by most people, but even they may be no/little use in a massive blackout with system limitations, overloaded circuits, etc.

I've got a UPS on my PVR, so it always records my programmes, unless the (usually local) power failure is very long - say over 1 hour - that's roughly how long my UPS lasts on the PVR. So Cable has been "up" any time I've needed to use it, however, I don't know what would happen if there were a massive, long blackout like 2003.

In 2003, I used a battery-powered radio to tune in occasionally to hear what was happening. I was using my Y2K batteries, which were not previously required... ;)

Here's the Wiki on 2003 with some of the effects, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Blackout_of_2003

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Short answer is pots is the only phone system that will work after a few hours.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I realize that with voip you need a UPS to plug your modem and ATA into, but what happens if you're using cable?
The Rogers VoIP terminal includes a battery to keep the phone up for a few hours.

BTW, during that blackout, I had to rough it and use a dial up modem in my notebook computer. ;-)

That day, I got home from work just in time to hear my UPS die.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts