Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using Nettalk with the Bell Turbo Hub. The Hub does not have QoS enabled by default. Should this be enabled and are there then optimal settings which need to be selected/entered?

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is that the public Internet has no QoS and that will have far more of an effect than anything you can do. Unless you're sending a lot of data, there shouldn't be much in the way of Q0S issues. How is QoS implemented? There are a few different methods, including protocol, switch port, VLAN etc.

·
Registered
260 Posts
QoS is usually implemented on the router behind your cable/dsl modem. The 3rd party router programmer's (ie: DD-WRT, Tomato, etc) wikis and technical guides usually suggest you calculate 80 -85% of your average upload and download speeds after taking a measurement from some speedtest site. I've recently enabled QoS on my router as although I could hear people just fine, they would often complain my voice sounded choppy (usually because I'm doing a live Citrix remote session at the same time). I only needed to apply QoS settings to the one port of my router where the VoIP phone was plugged in and adjust the settings to help regulate the upstream. Things seem to have finally smoothed out.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Unless you're sending a lot of data, there shouldn't be much in the way of Q0S issues.
"Sending a lot of data" seems to be the status quo with many internet users. It's quite common for me to receive 10-20MB email attachments, or ask associates to upload even larger files to our file server, or do anything else that will quickly saturate bandwidth.

The bottom line is if your VoIP audio sounds perfect 100% of the time without QoS, then you don't need it. In the case of my family, QoS is essential. :)

m.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Put me in the "I agree 100% with Mango camp!!!". :)

Without QoS enabled on our router the sound quality isn't good at all. With QoS enabled it sounds flawless no matter who is downloaded what.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
It's quite common for me to receive 10-20MB email attachments
It's the other direction that QoS affects. Your router cannot give any priority to incoming data, only outgoing. The most it can do is slow things down a bit, by delaying the acks. QoS on your router affects data leaving your network.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
^^^^
Isn't that what I said with "The most it can do is slow things down a bit, by delaying the acks"? Of course if you take that too far, you'll get timeout failures. You may want to read up on sliding windows and slow starts in TCP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts