Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Part of Vmedia's picture quality issue is probably due to the way connections to incumbent ISPs are leased. TPIAs have experienced similar issues. It's probably worse for Vmedia due to the inclusion of TV broadcasting.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I don’t agree at all. If pirates could produce good picture quality and reliable system then Vmedia shouldn’t have any problems either.
Comparing apples to telephones. Pirates simply have to send video over whatever Internet people happen to have. Over my 300Mbps fibre line, that's a whole lot of room to produce very high quality video. For non-streaming piracy (ie: downloading an entire season), it doesn't need to work in real time, which further allows for improved quality. Frankly, pirate picture quality is generally better quality than Rogers picture quality in NB due to Rogers antiquated infrastructure out here. You telling me Rogers doesn't have money? This is also true of OTT services, which can simply use whatever I have and deliver appropriately.

Vmedia and similar providers are crippled by rules that force them to provide their own Internet an only offer TV service over it. That is limited to ADSL in lots of areas, which is garbage by current standards and not up to providing realtime multiple HDTV streams and doing absolutely anything else. If they had reasonable access to the same fibre line I have now, the outcome could be very, very different.

This market is absolutely not a level playing field, and it's due to continual failures by the CRTC and government to promote a competitive marketplace. Instead, they love vertical integration and the oligopoly it creates.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Not true at all. None of the pirate services have better picture quality and reliability than Rogers or Bell.
If Netfox can have good Internet service with pretty good quality IPTV service so should Vmedia.

Most problems with Vmedia IPTV are related to their android box. Once they complete Vmedia app for Apple TV and release new IPTV box their IPTV will improve greatly in my opinion.

As for picture quality Vmedia has improved a lot as well. I have just visited Canadacomputers few days ago and could not believe the difference.

You don’t need fibre line to have 3Mbps IPTV service working properly.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You've clearly never seen Rogers TV in NB. If you're thinking it's the same as Rogers in Ontario, think again.

That's why they offer such a cheap bundle in NB.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I actually saw a post on facebook a while ago offering a free trial to a service that pirates channels from Canada the US and the UK I only used it a couple of times but I defenitly thought that TMN and sportsnet looked better then they do on my shaw cable box's

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We recently received a message saying our discount with Rogers was expiring. Called them up and they gave us a new discount that was pretty close to what Vmedia is offering. It's always wise to check what's available before switching to a new service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This provider has multicultural packs at least, can you guys suggest any other providers that have europe packages? vmedia does not have the specific one I need. Trying to find a reseller with Portuguese package for my grandmother, move her away from those illegal boxes as well that she's been using..

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Well, what a turnaround for Vmedia. On google lately only 5 star reviews. Vmedia must have improved their service drasticallylly to move from 2 star overall reviews to 4.2 star in just 48 hrs.
Unless Vmedia is doing what Carrytel ISP had done in the past by giving cash credits to their customers for posting positive reviews.
I used to use google reviews before making purchases, now I feel that most of their reviews are unreliable and basically it is a scam.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=vmedia&rlz=1C9BKJA_enCA672CA672&oq=vmedia&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l4j69i65.4502j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#lkt=LocalPoiReviews&trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:7716572647155736790,rc_q:VMedia,ru_q:VMedia

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
It still shows 2 stars here. VMedia has some nice pricing and features. I especially like the UChoose TV options and pricing for 10 or more channels. That's a pick and pay option consumers want and the way it was intended when the CRTC mandated it. The pricing for Crave + HBO is a little high. Their Cable 75 packaging is an excellent deal right now. It's too bad they have so many bad reports from customers.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Interestingly I don't see any reviews at all, possibly because it's not available here.

Perhaps Google is filtering the reviews regionally so people aren't getting the same average.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts