Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
In St. Johns they are also only offering home phone so like I said once they offer a service like Fiber OP at least and TV is offered too Ill considered it. Right now Im getting a three product discount through Rogers. Ignite unlimited Internet. And my Landlord chips in $ 47 for me already for my bill. (-:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just got off the phone with Rogers they offered me unlimited Canada Wide Calling and unlimited Text & 500 MB of Data for 60.00 right now I pay $62 with Telus for Unlimited local only with the other same features. Gonna switch I think as I can save 12 % on my bill. Share Everything Plan it is ! These guys should offer cell phones??? Wonder if they might sign on with one eventually or launch their own. Almost every provider offers one.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
@Wheelman
I had their cable internet service for a while, but switched to another provider because in the evenings I could not stream anything, as the speed would go down.
I was considering to get the TV service also, but I was pretty sure that it would not work properly with the internet service at that time, and they did not offer too many HD channels when comparing to other providers.
When I was leaving Vmedia they said that they were going to upgrade my area soon, so I may consider them again when my contract with Bell expires.

·
Registered
930 Posts
jfoley85: This is going OT, but have you looked at Rogers coverage map in your province? I left Rogers years ago because their coverage was so terrible in NS, but it used to be comically bad in NFLD. If you never leave town I guess it would be okay.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Awesome! So how does everyone find their Internet service? (cable vs DSL)
Cable internet customer for nearly 2 years, no issues, no congestion. But I'm not in a big city.

VMedia now have a TPIA in their own right, legacy customers are on CiK unless they change.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Does anyone have a subscription to VMedia TV? How does it compare to other type of TV service (satellite or cable?) How reliable is it with cable internet in Rogers areas?

·
Registered
190 Posts
jfoley85: This is going OT, but have you looked at Rogers coverage map in your province? I left Rogers years ago because their coverage was so terrible in NS, but it used to be comically bad in NFLD. If you never leave town I guess it would be okay.
I was in there today made the switch. Service is actually ALOT better then it used to be and they have extended their coverage for NFLD so I dont have to worry about leaving town.

·
Registered
190 Posts
ExDilbert - Does anyone have a subscription to VMedia TV? How does it compare to other type of TV service (satellite or cable?) How reliable is it with cable internet in Rogers areas?
Since for me it's just home phone they offer I'd say more people will get this home phone as another phone choice:Rather then Bell Aliant as it (VMedia) offers more choice for them here at a cheaper rate for this company. They are definitely cheaper then BA . I believe you can bundle Bell TV satellite with their (Bell Aliant) services. Definitely can with Fiber OP TV bundling it with home phone, internet and Bell cell phones . Rogers offering their own to certain parts (Cell Phones) here and bundling and all services for Newfoundland. If they do not have internet or do (for some) and have services such as Shaw Direct or others with only TV offerings - I can see people wanting to use this as Shaw doesn`t offer home phone here. With Bell cell phones you can get Bell Aliant services too and with Rogers like I said they have their own services.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I was thinking to switch from Bell fibe to Vmedia, but after visiting Canada computers store and playing with Vmedia TV service, I have second thoughts.
The service overall looks good, easy to navigate and channel selection is pretty good. Having apps on the same TV box is also a nice option.
The only thing that is a big dissapointment is picture quality. It is far from bell fibe quality and in the store they had it hooked up to a 32" TV so if I connect it to my 60" TV, the picture will most likely be a lot worse.
I was told that picture quality will improve with the release of new Vmedia android boxes and then upgrading them to H.265 decoding.
This may happen sometimes this year, but the store in my area does not have new boxes yet.
I will visit the store few months from now to see if there is any improvement in the video quality, if it is reasonable I may just jump the ship.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am glad to see vmedia will be offering service in BC.

I do have a couple of questions:

- what resolution are the HD channels encoded at? 1080i? 1080p?

- for those of us with legacy projectors & TV's, what is the component video resolution? 1080i?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
They are at 720p but because the signal is highly compressed the video quality is way lower than 720p on Bell fibe or bell satellite TV.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Of the two, VMedia looks to be a more rounded offering. Acanac is cheaper but has some significant omissions in available channels. VMedia compares well to traditional services as far as channel availability is concerned. However, there is very little, if any, price advantage. One big omission for both services is time shifted network channels.

Looking at the services from a technical viewpoint, both have significant shortcomings. PVR capability is limited on both services. Acanac uses a more traditional PVR hardware model but limits the number of simultaneous recordings to 1, 2 or 3 depending on the plan. Acanac also claims to support whole home PVR which is a nice addition. VMedia records programs remotely, a good idea for this type of service, but imposes a one week time limit and has a small selection of supported channels. The hardware for both services appears to be lightweight Android boxes. That can work well but they charge a premium for this type of hardware. Due to the lack of channels, Acanac just doesn't appear to have a well developed TV offering. Considering the high cost of the service and the technical limitations, I don't see Vemedia as a good alternative either.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I agree, with the latest price increases Vmedia's price advantage is gone.
If I switched to Vmedia, I would actually pay over $30 more for the same channel selection than what I am paying now in a three bundle service.
I know when you compare prices on line, Vmedia looks more cost effective, but we know that Bell and Rogers offer big discounts that make them more attractive.
I think it is Rogers and Bell that increase costs for Vmedia and CRTC just goes along with that.
Given the environment that these companies have in Canada, I do not think that they will succeed and that is unfortunate for these new companies and customers in this country.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I agree. The savings VMedia claims is not there in reality. They are comparing to the highest cost for unbundled services from Bell with no promotions. There are alternatives that can beat VMedia in price. A significant portion of the cost for VMedia's TV service must be internet data charges. Bell and Rogers saw this coming when they applied to the CRTC for wholesale data surcharges against internet resellers. I'd like to see the CRTC reverse that decision but I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Anyone is Vmedia subscriber? I am reviewing my contract with Rogers (tv, internet, home phone) and came across Vmedia through CRTC. Vmedia's pricing seems to be $40 lower than my contract with Rogers (currently $160), and they both provide similar packages. I would like some feedback on the quality of service from Vmedia from current subscribers.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Most of the subscribers do not last even one year with Vmedia.
Basically their internet and tv services are unreliable and tv service is not in HD.
You can check their forum but they delete negative comments and few months ago they changed something so that now there are very few new posts.
Vmedia has a display of their tv service at Canada Computers so customers can go and check it out.

I used to be a Vmedia customer and I can say that I am happy to pay more for reliable service.

81 - 100 of 172 Posts