Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

Apologies in advance if this is an old question, but I was unable to find anything on it after several searches.

I plan to build a new PC starting mid-May. I will put Vista on it.

Does anyone know what, if any, Windows 7 upgrade path MS will offer to recent Vista buyers? Alternatively, are there any strategies that would let me get from Vista to Windows 7 without paying full price for both -- aside from waiting til Fall of course.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Your best bet would be to get the Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC). It will be released on May 5th, and will be a free and legal download from Microsoft, with product keys. It will be fully functional until sometime in 2010 (I can't remember the exact date off-hand), which will give you plenty of time to buy the actual Windows 7 after it is released (rumoured to be in October or earlier).

I have built a new PC in January, and have been using the Windows 7 beta, and will probably switch to the RC, since my beta version expires in August, and I don't think the retail version will be out by then. It has allowed me to bypass Vista.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi:

Alan Toronto: I looked at that (who could miss the advert?).

But it seems to apply to businesses who purchase Vista Business Edition via a MS volume discount plan.

That's not me.

rsambuca: Fiendishly clever. Legal too. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The only catch Ken, is that Windows 7 RTM (release version) will require a clean install from Windows 7 RC. I am a W7 beta user and I got an e-mail from MS with respect to the RC that says:
Please note: All users of the Windows 7 Release Candidate (including Windows Vista users who have upgraded to the Release Candidate) must do a clean installation of Windows 7 RTM. Please keep this is mind as you consider downloading the Release Candidate as opposed to waiting for the general availability release.
In other words, if you put W7 RC on your PC, you will need to do a clean install in 2010 of W7 RTM. If you are running Vista you are fine to simply upgrade to RTM. That said, I would go W7 RC in any event. The OS is vastly superior to Vista plus doing a clean install in a year is not a bad idea at all. With the MS Easy Transfer Wizard porting from an old install to a clean install is pretty easy, especially in a dual boot.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pain. Gain. The Old Story

Hi JohnnyCanuck:

I agree that the pain may be worth the gain -- better OS, lower cost.

Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm building a HTPC and didn't want to buy Vista now with Windows 7 on the horizon so my plan is the same as rsambuca.

I was wondering about the upgrade from RC to RTM and I had previously had trouble finding that answer but JohnnyCanuck now has set my expectation that I will need to do a clean install for RTM. Thanks.

A co-worker had no problems getting RC for me from MSDN but I'm not sure if that experience can be used to predict how well it will go when the public gets their turn as no doubt it will be a lot busier then.

I can't comment on RC yet as I'm still a week or two away from starting my build.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Upgrading from RC1 to RTM will be no more painful or destructive than my upgrade from Build 7000 to RC1. Unfortunately, this means I'll probably have to reformat the ENTIRE drive, and not just the OS partition. When I tried installing over the OS partition when going from 7000 to RC1, the partition table got corrupted so badly, the computer got stuck in POST! I lost my data partition.

I took the computer out of the server rack, extracted the drive, put it in a "toaster", and wiped it clean. The computer was then able to recognize the drive as "empty" and complete its POST. I then rebuilt the data partition and copied everything over from my Linux server's repository directory.

I do a lot of video editing, and the video files need to reside on the editing workstation to maximize productivity. Even a Gigabit network connection may not be fast enough for my needs. So doing a clean install of the RTM is just a matter of installing and copying everything over., which is about four to six hours' work.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I have two drives and had Vista on one and 7000 on the other as a dual boot. Just installed RC1 on the Vista Drive as a new install and it's all good. I anticipate doing pretty much the same thing with RTM (although I will probably take the opportunity to build a PC instead).

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Upgrading from RC1 to RTM will be no more painful or destructive than my upgrade from Build 7000 to RC1.
I doubt it. The version of RC1 you're installing is Windows 7 Ultimate. Unless you're willing to spend big $$ to get Ultimate RTM, you'll have to re-install as Microsoft does not allow downgrading from a higher tier.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Also keep in mind that Ultimate won't be easy to come by. Ultimate will only be available in limited quantities in select stores during special events and such.

There will only be two SKUs available to the general public, Home Premium and Professional.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts