Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
The only difference between Vista and XP is a "protected path" for digital hi-def movies. The DRM tools are built in to Vista and should provide a more consistence implementation of them

I have no problem playing HD content on WinXP at full resolution with non HDCP compliant hardware and software
And you will under Vista also ... until they turn on the ICT flag. Then both Vista and XP analog output will be reduced to 480p.

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
I_Want_My_HDTV said:
...I believe, non-conforming software and hardware can be disabled by the O/S.
...I wonder if I will be able to do the same with Vista.
...It could just refuse to let software or hardware it doesn't like work.
At this point I find this to be nothing but pure speculation.

BHoward said:
... until they turn on the ICT flag. Then both Vista and XP analog output will be reduced to 480p.
Actually, 540p: they cut the vertical resolution in half (and have already claimed it will still be better than DVD).

Diogen.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
At this point I find this to be nothing but pure speculation.
It is only speculation because nobody knows if these capabilities will be used by M$ and the big $tudios. M$ has already withdrawn support for copies of WinXP when it deemed to be a pirated version, despite the fact that the purchasers thought the software was legal. Vista is even more restrictive and will likely hit more people with legally purchased copies of M$ software. I had a legal version of WinXP totally disabled by M$ after a hardware change and was forced to reinstall with a different key.

The capabilities are in Vista to do all those things and to prevent non-conforming hardware and software from working. M$ and the big $tudios want to lock out any and all competition, create a monopoly in the multimedia market and make consumers pay much more for listening to music or watching movies. Lawsuits have already been brought against popular, legal open source software and the people that develop it. It is also illegal to make or sell non HDCP compliant hardware in some countries, such as the US. Will they go so far as to actually disable hardware and software they don't like on home computers? I don't doubt it will happen. M$ has already used dirty tricks to make competing software less usable or unusable. I doubt that will stop, seeing as the US antitrust laws have been shown to be impotent where M$ is concerned. How many people will be affected by heavy handed actions by the studios such as happened with my copy of WinXP. How many more catastrophies such as the Sony root kit will take place? I am not waiting around to find out.

Let's face it, Vista and DRM are designed to suck money from its owners in as many ways as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if M$ is planning on increasing its cash reserves to much more that 50$billion with its new O/S and royalties from DRM media sales. Just say no to Vista and DRM.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I am trying to remember the last time I read three paragraphs full of M$'s. You do make some interesting points however your constant use of M$ is distracting and kind of childish.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts