Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I use McAfee or Norton? How come Telus does not include one?
Reminds me of the Netscape Internet free trial service, that also had no protection service.
I am having trouble using the Shaw Secure from my Shaw Internet Service I had in October.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Telus provides virus protection for all high speed internet - for up to 5 computers. They use AVG as their engine. You have to download it and install.

Check this url 'www.telus.com/content/internet/security/index.jsp'

·
Banned
548 Posts
TELUS has a very good Internet Security Suite and its FREE!!

Just follow this link to download TELUS security. You must download it and during the installation process you will be asked to activate it with your TELUS High Speed Internet Access or HSIA Username and Password. If you don't know your TELUS HSIA Username or Password call 310-2255 and ask for your Username and to have your Password reset. Please record this info in a safe place and retain it for the future, techs sometimes need this info and they don't get it on the order most times. You will need to have your PIN ready to ID yourself to the agent when making this request, the PIN is a 4 digit number found on the header of your phone bill.

If you're not confident you can install this, you can ask the tech if they would do it for you. Many will if asked, but please, if you don't know your HSIA username and password, get on the phone and get it for the tech if they don't have it. Installs are alot of work and the tech would REALLY appreciate you doing this for them. They don't have a secret backdoor number to get his info and would have to wait just as long as you would and waiting is easier for you to do, since your not doing the install.

Make sure and heed the warning "If you are installing TELUS security services software for the first time, you must uninstall any existing security software on your computer." Just as for any security software failure to do so may result in your PC misbehaving or becoming unresponsive.

The TELUS Security Suite is produced by an outside company for TELUS. That company is not affiliated with AVG.

It is a reliable internet security suite that runs in real time, is easy to use, and uses minimal system resources so it won't slow your PC down and it updates itself automatically every 3 hours. It has both inbound and outbound firewalls, antifraud, antispyware and privacy protection in addition to anti-virus. It's compatible with both Vista and Windows 7 as well as XP.

If you have a very old PC and are looking for an anti-virus that will run on it try Avast. Avast is free and is still compatable and will run on systems as old as Pentiums running Windows 95.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
106 Posts
The telus internet security is free with the internet service, and it works.... but I would highly recommend Comodo internet security suite.

As previously mentioned, Avast is great as well. Thumbs down to AVG. I will not use it again.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Sorry to report that AVAST has updated their software and dropped support for OS before XP service pack 2. Thats a shame, just last summer I put the free Avast on a PC running Windows 98 for a customer.

Oh well another good product bites the dust. I'm sure the new Avast is great though, none the less.

- another TELUS tech

·
Banned
78 Posts
The new Avast works fine.

Personally I wouldn't use any "internet security" suite as routers are already strong firewalls and they generally cause too many problems.

I can't tell you how many computers I have had to remove a security suite from to correct problems.

·
Banned
548 Posts
I hear that. Poorly contructed (written and/or supported) anti-virus, multiple anti-viruses installed, or bloated patronising anti-viruses that do everything but warn you when to toilet yourself, all cause untold issues.

Still you can always download a virus without knowing it if you get infected downloaded files or get infected from P2P sharing etc. Your NAT won't help you in those cases because you requested that data, so I think it still pays if you run an anti virus rather than trying to recover data from broken Windows.

Really the only type of virus that the Network Address Translation of a router can stop are those that are roaming network type of viruses. NATs also make hacking your PC from outside the NAT more difficult, not unfortunatley impossible, so the best course for data that absolutely must be protected from unauthorised access or copy is a disconnected storage PC that is not connected to your network or a USB drive that is disconnected when the data is not required.

You can't hack or steal what you cant see or touch. :)

- another TELUS tech

·
Banned
548 Posts
Indeed GRC (Shields Up) is a GREAT site. Lots of good info for those concerned about internet security.

:)

- another TELUS tech

1 - 10 of 10 Posts