Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes, I still have a landline, but for good reasons.
57, is it an actual landline to a CO or does Rogers use an ATA and transfer it out over your broadband?

When we migrated from Bell to voip.ms, I contacted our alarm monitoring company about reliability over voip. They suggested we change to IP based monitoring and wireless as a backup which we did. We've had no issues.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
57, is it an actual landline to a CO or does Rogers use an ATA and transfer it out over your broadband?
I'm not sure of the exact terminology, however it doesn't use my broadband, rather I believe it's it is VOIP over Rogers' own segregated network via a Modem installed at the demarc.

Regarding the alarm monitoring - via "The Monitoring Centre", if I didn't have the "landline", I would have to get a new panel to work with cell, for which they charge installation plus an extra $10/month minimum. I don't want to use "real VOIP" (Say VOIP.ms or Ooma, etc) because, as stated earlier, I would not save any money doing that due to my bundle with Rogers.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact terminology, however it doesn't use my broadband, rather I believe it's it is VOIP over Rogers' own segregated network via a Modem installed at the demarc.
It is VoIP, though a separate service from Internet, but run over the same cable. This means better control of quality of service, etc., than what you'd get with the VoIP adapters that low cost services typically use. To the user, it's indistinguishable from regular POTS.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This is getting off topic, but the problem with any voip service (Rogers, voip.ms, etc.) is the reliability of the UPS's that supply power to the line extenders (amplifiers) on the cable trunk system.

Where I reside, we have monthly power outages and even though our home is fully powered by a nat gas standby generator, we only see about a 2 hour window of service on the cable network (including voip) during a power outage. Many of the pole mounted UPS's in our neighbourhood have red flashing error lights on the exterior indicating needed battery replacement, but Rogers seems oblivious to this. I guess it's not on their "to do" list.

This is why a landline to the CO is superior and why we went wireless backup to our home alarm system.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
^^^^
Bell is also moving away from a copper pair back to the CO to fibre to the curb, where they transition from fibre to copper. So, the same issues will apply to them too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
JamesK" said:
Bell is also moving away from a copper pair back to the CO to fibre to the curb, where they transition from fibre to copper. So, the same issues will apply to them too.
I have FTTN and so it's copper to my house from that node. My landline works when the power goes out, which I find a positive thing.

When Bell installs FTTP and the fibre comes the rest of the way to my home and the copper is gone, will my phone then become a VOIP that requires a battery?

elyk

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Yep. If your phone is connected to that node, it will be VoIP, over the fibre, back to the CO. One thing VoIP does is provide better bandwidth and call quality. Traditional phones were limited to frequencies in the range of about 300 Hz - 3.5 KHz. With VoIP, a variety of CODECs are available and one is often referred to as HD Voice. Voice over LTE calls similarly benefit from this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfair practices

Jake, I am on this same plan, and after thinking about it, they have no right to take money from a plan like this. The account is a "pay per use" plan. That means that if there is no use, then I am supposed to have my full balance. They have decided that they can come and take $5 out of the account and you have no say. That is wrong. Suppose that my expiry date is approaching and I buy a $100 top-up card. Then suppose that I NEVER use the card for the year. At the end of the year, there is a $40 balance in the account. Essentially, what I purchased was not $100 of pay per use services; instead, I paid $100 for $40 worth of services. That is wrong. No other phone plan moves the goal posts; you know what you signed up for and there are no surprises. The monthly rate in that situation reflects entirely upon what you paid and agreed to. In this case, however, that is false. As an analogy, let's say I "topped up" the gasoline in my car with $100. Does the gas station have the right to declare they will come to my house and remove $5 from my gas tank at the end of the month? Of course not. But that is essentially what is being done in this circumstance. They are ignoring your top-up and siphoning money from that top-up regardless of your usage. I appreciate the many responses here where people offer alternatives through cheap plans, but that is not the point. I have called VM and asked for a call from a manager or higher-up person to discuss this situation. I doubt I will hear from them, but I will pursue this issue on the basis of fairness. I suggest you do the same.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
@bb805, what you pay is not only for the use of the plan, but also access to the system. Think of the internet access (or other wireless plans) and you'll see a parallel. You pay a certain amount per month whether you download 1 MB or 2GB. On some (non-unlimited) plans, you'll pay a certain amount for "access" and then more per MB downloaded (similar to calls made).

These grandfathered plans are simply disappearing because so few people have them and they have no leverage. I'm lucky enough to be with Rogers where they have allowed me to stay on such a grandfathered plan, however, I know that at some point in the future, it will probably be taken away. As stated earlier in this thread, there are only about 10% of people now on pre-paid and very few of them are on these grandfathered plans, so the industry is simply discontinuing them for the few people that have them so that the CSRs have only "current" plans to worry about, instead of a bunch of plans that no longer exist.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
No other phone plan moves the goal posts; you know what you signed up for and there are no surprises.
Not true. I've had much worse happen with prepaid accounts from other companies. If you read the fine print for most plans for any service it will state that the company has the right to change terms of service at any time with a short notification time. It sucks that the terms get changed unilaterally but costs go up and the company probably loses money on unused prepaid accounts. That's especially true it they have balance carry over. Balances on those accounts represent a liability that could affect company value and indirectly cost the company money.

Many people would think that $5/mo for phone access is reasonable. The company has to pay employees, maintain account information and, build and maintain infrastructure whether the account is used or not. If they don't, the phone won't work when it's needed. Many companies want $15-$50 a month for any type of phone service whether it's used or not and charge extra for any use above a fairly low limit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am another "little or no use" VM prepaid customer (since 2008.) I am aware of what Rogers did a few years ago--basically discontinuing the carry over of large balances, but allowing customers to burn up those balances on alternate plans. As far as I can tell, VM is not doing this--they will still require us to buy $100 airtime by the annual expiry date to keep from losing purchased airtime. With this new $5/month charge, I'd rather they go the Rogers route and let me burn up the hundreds of dollars in my account faster. (With a mind to look for alternative carriers once the funds are gone.)

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Sounds like a good time to switch to Public Mobile (which is owned by Telus)

The plan I use for my kids is only $13 per month. ($15 per 30 day minus $2 for setting up your credit card on prepay)

100 minutes Canada-wide talk
Unlimited incoming calls
Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
Bonus 250 MB Data⁴ at 3G speed with AutoPay
Voicemail & Call Display

They current have an extra $5 rebate for the next 8 months on new signups.
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/15for250MB-3Gspeed

·
Registered
636 Posts
Zoomerwireless (Cityfone on Rogers network)

2 telephone numbers.
300 minutes Canada wide 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Unlimited Zoomer to Zoomer calling
300 outgoing texts per line
2500 incoming texts
Voice mail
Conference calling
etc.

Taxes in $40.68 every month. Never had an overage and I use my phone for work.

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks guys. Been looking at Fizz (Videotron) but will look at Public Mobile now. There are only two apps that I would like to have data enabled. iMessage and Google Maps. I don't need a lot of data or speed so 250MB at 3G sounds perfect. I do like the data rollover feature on Fizz. I make about 5-10 minutes of voice calls per month and text about 50-75 times a month.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Also check out Koodo prepaid. Similar plan to Public Mobile with some special offers now available. Canada wide talk as cheap as 5 cents/min. Long distance from 10 cents,

·
Registered
35 Posts
One thing I have noticed is Virgin Mobile no longer requires "prepaid" customers to pay $100/yr on their anniversary date to keep their rollover airtime from expiring. My anniversary date was Feb 11th, and after the $5/month came out of existing funds on Feb 5th, it was reset to Mar 11. After the $5/month came out just now (Mar 5th), the expiry is reset again to Apr 11th.

I would guess that since the $5/month charge came in, the old "prepaid" system of annual expiry is finished. Apart from a ridiculous high rate for minutes and texts in effect later this month, I'm okay with just burning up the accumulated funds faster, with no additional $100 outlay every year.

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
True.

Mine is actually $12/month now since per text prices are ridiculous at 60 cents each. Basically if you send 12 text/month or more then just get the $7/500 text add-on. There was no way I (or anyone else) would pay $100/year on top of the the $12/month for this.

I have a few more months left before my balance is depleted. Then I will port my number over to another carrier. Hopefully.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Virgin Mobile no longer requires "prepaid" customers to pay $100/yr on their anniversary date to keep their rollover airtime from expiring.
It's more typical these days to get a 30 day grace period before losing rollover balances or losing the phone number.

... per text prices are ridiculous at 60 cents each.
That's gouging. Texts cost carriers almost nothing. Unlimited texting plans for about $15/mo are not difficult to find.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts