Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
The countdown is on. I have 2 months left in my balance. So I checked out the signal level at my house from the 5 providers. I live on the outskirts of a city but my android work phone service is Bell and I only average -120 dBm. Phone calls are terrible even outside of the house. So any Bell solution is not going to work.
One thing you might consider is WiFi calling. With it, you connect to your WiFi, instead of the cell network. I'm in a similar situation, where I have poor cell coverage in my home. With WiFi calling, I always have a great signal. When you enable it, you also configure the address to be used on 911 calls.

So, check if your phone and carrier both support WiFi calling.

Reactions: Jake

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
Wifi calling without going through the wireless carrier is also available. It's also cheaper if on a pay per use or limited airtime plan. The catches are that many are ad supported and a different phone number is supplied.

Another option is to use a cellular repeater. A directional antenna is mounted outside to obtain a good signal and a low power cellular receiver/transmitter is used to provide a stronger signal in the nearby area.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks for the tips. I tried to enable it on my work phone and it appears the phone does not support it. I can't find the setting. It is a really old Samsung Galaxy running KitKat. On my personal phone, an iPhone 6s, it says it is only available on monthly plans. LOL.

I'll look into it again as work is sending me a new phone. Also, once I switch providers it is possible the new one will support it prepaid or postpaid.

I have used Fongo in the past on my tablet and I have a number. And my house line is VOIP so I know a little about SIPs.

Needless to say my reliance on phones has gone up since March. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can confirm what @pioneer PVR said back in March. My wife has the same plan ($5 month forced payment + $7 text add on). Her expiry date was June 6, 2020. We haven't added any money to the account, but our expiry date keeps moving out (July 6, Aug 6, Sept 6, and now Oct 6). We haven't lost any balance, and they keep taking the $12. My father has also seen the same thing, but he doesn't have the text add-on.

I left Virgin back in April when my balance was <$5. One issue I did struggle with was getting my Virgin account number, so I could port to another provider. The call times were very high at that time. When I called the customer service number I'd get an automated message saying that prepaid customer had to use the online portal at this time, then it would hang up. No way to talk to an actual person. But the online portal doesn't list my account number. After trying many times over a few weeks, I was lucky that Public Mobile allowed me to port without my account number, though they warned that it might not go though.

When I did successfully port, I was shocked. Virgin never sent me a text or anything to tell me that a port request had been made, the line just went dead. If I had been a victim of SIM-jacking I wonder how would I have ever got my number back since the 1-888 number wouldn't accept calls from prepaid customers. Shortly afterward I changed of my all two-factor authentication to use something other than text messages.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I tried to enable it on my work phone and it appears the phone does not support it. I can't find the setting. It is a really old Samsung Galaxy running KitKat. On my personal phone, an iPhone 6s, it says it is only available on monthly plans. LOL.
I also have an ancient Galaxy Note 3 that stopped at Android 5.0 Lollipop for updates. Needless to say, with no updates since 2015, I'm not going to use it for anything financial/banking.

On Virgin mobile in my condo (a built up area of multi-unit residences), it has been very good. At work, in an industrial park with no residential buildings around, I have to walk to the front door of my office (away from my PC and other electronic equipment) to get a signal. Both addresses are in Richmond, BC.

A few of my friends use What'sApp on their phones over wifi for video and voice calls. Call quality is very good (I have Telus Optik PureFibre at both home and work).

I am also just letting my balance tick down, and will be highly unlikely to stay with Virgin once it's gone. They have been sending me email offers like this every few months to entice me onto a plan, but for my needs, it's overkill.

BRING YOUR OWN PHONE AND STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR MONTHLY PLANS.
Call the whole fam, share photos to the group chat, and never miss a beat when you pick a plan that works for you.​
Choose from 3 exclusive plans
All plans include Unlimited Canada-Wide talk & text, video and picture messaging. Plus, you can carry over your prepaid balance to your new monthly plan.​
Call to order:
1 866 277-0774​
LOTS OF LOVE,
Virgin Mobile​
Up to $50 of your prepaid balance will be applied to your bill the first month, then $20/mo afterwards. Current as of May 15, 2020. Offer ends June 15, 2020. One-time connection service fee ($40) applies. Monthly 9-1-1 fees apply in AB (44¢), NL (75¢), NB (53¢), NS (43¢), PEI (70¢), SK (94¢), QC (46¢) and NT ($1.70). Taxes extra. For plan price details, check it at vm.ca/plans. If you cancel your Commitment Period early, an Early Exit Charge will apply. See your Agreement for details. Offers and Member Benefits subject to change/cancellation at any time without notice. Other restrictions apply see virginmobile.ca for details. Unlimited text and picture messaging is only valid when message is sent from Canada. Text messages sent within the U.S. or internationally, premium text messages, text alerts, messages sent with an instant messaging application and dial-up messages are not included and cost extra. Data use over what is included in your plan is $10/100MB up to 800MB, $0.15/MB thereafter​

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks for the tip VA3TJS. I just went online and asked the chat bot for my account #. I noted it so I will be ready when the time comes.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
In case anyone is interested in my final plan. I have decided to let my cell phone plan lapse. I really don't need it. I still have a fixed line (VOIP) and a work mobile. Plus my partner has a phone. I will also port my cell number to my VOIP service. The port is free and it only costs $12/year. So if I decide to get a cell phone plan next year I will have the same number available.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
It is done. I ported my mobile number over to my VOIP account. I am done with Virgin Mobile. Today I set up call and text forwarding so now my work mobile rings and gets texts if anyone calls my old mobile number. This good for some of my friends that still send SMSs and for those 2FAs I set up on my various accounts.

The porting process was very difficult. Before I started I went to the trouble of getting my account number since I don't get statements and it is not given anywhere in the online portal. Also, the port required a statement, which I don't have as a prepaid customer. I was advised by the new company to take a screen capture of my account. My account has my name and my phone number and that is all. Info that was already provided in the port request. Then the new company wanted my signature on the "statement". It felt like I was dealing with a process that was created before the internet. In the end the port was submitted and thought I was done. But the next day Virgin sent a text to my phone to confirm the port and I missed the 90 minute window to reply. I mean 90 minutes! What do they think somebody is racing to my house to intercept the text?

So then I had to get the new company to make another port request. This time I slept with my phone. I got the text and replied within a minute. It was also rejected a second time. This time Virgin said my account number was wrong. I asked Virgin again for my account number. I don't know why but it took a really long time and me explaining multiple times. It seems this info is not common knowledge. I finally got it. It was different than the first 10 digit one they gave me and 13 digits long. I submitted my now "correct" account number and a 3rd port request was made. Except this time no port-out confirmation text was sent. A few days later I was notified by the port-in company that the port would occur after a week. Which did happen today. Phew.

It was one of those situations that makes little sense. Why the screen capture, why the signature on the screen capture? Why Virgin insisted on my hidden "account" number and not the IMEI on file is weird. Why make the port request expire after 90 minutes? I guess prepaid ports are rare and the system is not set up for that. Also, having to ask for your account number 4 different ways before they understood really tested my patience. Especially after they provided me with the wrong information the first go around.

That is all. LOL.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
I've had similar issues. The problem seems to be that a lot of prepaid companies provide little or no support in order to keep costs down and be competitive. That's fine until you really need support.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I called Virgin Mobile earlier this week to order a nano-SIM for my wife's new phone. Their website won't accept billing addresses with PO boxes, so it would decline my credit card.

Near the end of the call the rep noticed that my wife's expiry date was in about a week. They made some comment that since her balance was >$110 they would extend the expiry at no cost until Dec 31, 2021. I had a look in the MyAccount portal afterward and confirmed that is the new expiry date. They had also made a comment about calling back if we need to extend the expiry again.

Previously, her expiry date would move out month to month (like I mentioned earlier in the thread). I wonder if the change that the rep made might affect that now? I'll never know because her remaining balance will be gone before December and I'll port her over to the same provider I moved too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks like Virgin really wants to get people off of prepaid plans. My wife just got a text to let her know that they are doubling the rates again in April. They will also now take $10/month.

By early summer her credit will be gone and we will be free to move to another carrier. Been 13+ years on this Virgin pre-paid plan. Though my parents are on the same plan with a very large credit, so they don't have much of a choice but to let Bell slowly eat away at their credit.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
It's not surprising. Bell did the same to me with a plan I had for over 10 years. First they cancelled the unused month-to-month carry over (the accumulated amount was retained,) then they started bumping up rates and adding extra service fees to the plan that made it almost useless without the accumulated balance. I had to keep paying the monthly fee or lose the balance. One time they ignored my updated credit card info and refused to restore the full balance even though it was their oversight. All that was done because they wanted to eliminate the accumulated balance and force me to switch to a more expensive plan. Meanwhile, other companies were offering similarly price plans with more features and monthly carry over. As a result, I'll never subscribe to to Bell mobile or one of their sub-brands again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The wife's account finally got down to < $10 balance, so we ported the number out to Public Mobile. We instantly received a text message from Virgin telling us that a port request had been made, we had to reply with 'YES' for it to proceed. Much better than last year, when I ported out my number and received no warning from Virgin.

After 14 years, we are completely done with Virgin (and Bell) and hopefully our parents will be soon too.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Base 15/mo including 100 minutes(could be .15 a minute if you use it all) plus unlimited free incoming and unlimited free text(international text also) and free 250MB data and a $1 discount after each year for loyalty and if you refer you get a discount and if you auto pay I believe $2/month off.
My wife has the 15(11/mo now) and they offered a few gig that stays until you use it and they also offered USA calling that stays until you use it plus plus. I use 25/mo plan(20/mo now) for more data and unlimited calling and they gave me a few gig balance and USA calling balance. A friend I referred(I got referral fee) is saving $50+ a month over his previous plan and is smiling all the way to the B.
We were on a topup annually and .30 minute and I know I am paying a bit more but I just use the phone whenever I **** and now don't have the worry of minutes or an unused balance. My wife at 100 minutes/mo amd a bonus balance will probably not ever exceed it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well Rogers just renewed my Pay as You Go plan for another 365 days. Didn't cost me anything as I had a $100 credit sitting in my account. However, they are now billing me 0.60 per minute text and voice!
What a rip off!

·
Super Moderator
57,127 Posts
@Jorgek : Just make sure you've got enough money in your account to make calls/texts if necessary. The service "stops/does not work" if you have no balance. I usually pay $100 from my balance every couple of years too and on average I've only spent about $5-$6 per month over the past 12 years or so because I use it mostly for emergencies. On the grandfathered "Anytime" plan the price per text/minute is quite high, but since I don't use it much, my monthly cost is still low. There are newer Rogers plans at $15+ per month that cost less per minute and I did give them some thought, but so far don't need it. You can also switch providers and get plans starting at about $100/year with government-mandated service.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is the new company you are with offering a prepaid plan for 30 cents a minute?
The new company is $23/month with unlimited calling, unlimited texting and 1GB of data.

Previously my wife was paying $17/month for 10 mins of calling, 500 texts add-on and no data.

So the extra $5 was worth it. Plus I get a $1 friend discount on my account. At 60 cents/minute it only took a 8 minute call per month to make Virgin more expensive.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
I was on a $10mo PAYGO plan with Bell. They were charging $6/mo for call display, leaving $4 for calls at 50 cents per minute. Text and data were not available. That left me with 8 minutes per month of call time. The rates were a lot lower when I originally signed up. They also cancelled month to month carry-over for unused amounts. It was a grandfathered plan with over $100 carry-over that was on there for years since the rates were much lower. They eventually reinstated carry-over on newer plans but not mine. I think Bell was trying to force people off these plans to get the carry-over money off their accounts. It eventually worked when I got a smart phone and wanted data and text. It also left me with a very bad opinion of Bell and I will never go back to them, not even with one of their economy brands. I now pay 5 cents a minute with unlimited text for $13.50/mo. Data is extra but once purchased will never expire unless used and I don't use much phone data.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts