Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the local radio shack today, and somehow i got chatting with the girl about cell phones, and she told me Virgin just came out with a UNLIMITED talk and text for $45 and $65 for unlimited talk and text in canada. Im vurrently on Telus and have 11 months left on my data plan which is $65 with unlimited text, unlimited incoming calls, 150 anytime mins, and the basic data plan for my blackberry. What does everyone think of Virgin , and is it worth paying out my contract and jumping to Virgin? They said i could even keep my phone number...I used to have Fido years ago, when it was $40 unlimited and it was awesome. Didnt need a home phone anymore...Could i try and tell Telus im jumping ship and tell them the deal hoping they might offer me something? Any feedback?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
It's actually as low as $35 for the unlimited local calling plan. That said, their data add-ons start at another $35/month (the cheaper $25/500MB option seems to have disappeared from their site), so if you want data as well you'll be paying at least $70/month. Is that worth paying out the early cancellation fee on your contract?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, probably not worth a buy out, but i have 2 people in our house on pay as you go , that go over $45 a month all the time. We googled the reviews on Virgin and more negative came up then good, but thats expected. Can anyone tell me more about Virgin Mobile , and if it is any good or not? Says they run on Bells network which i think is good....

·
Registered
699 Posts
they were good before bell bought them out. Then all of a sudden my rates and plans changed and sure enough good old bell was behind it.

Not much choice....its either the big 2 or Telus. I chose to move to Telus...hated the idea of bell getting my money.....which was the reason I went with Virgin in the first place.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But, doesnt the $45 unlimited sound sweet? How could the rates change if your on this? Or is there fine print on the contract, that will get us later?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
hated the idea of bell getting my money.....which was the reason I went with Virgin in the first place.
Bell was a majority owner of Virgin since the day they opened up shop in Canada.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
the 35$ unlimited plan is limited to CDMA Devices / CDMA footprint only, the $45 plan is compatible with all devices/smart phones

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes they were shareholders of the company I knew that....which is partially why they were allowed to operate because of Canadian ownership rules. They did not set prices or regulate the company in any way until they bought them out. It was night and day in terms of price and restrictions... you could tell there was a change. RIP Virgin....:(

One other thing was weird...I knew virgin were using Bells network and one time I was out of my home zone and had no reception....while my friend with a bell brand phone was fine. Go figure that one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, My girlfriend cancelled her rogers, switched to Virgin today.....An already having some kind of problem.....Something like, another phone number is programmed into her phone and her voice mail doesnt work.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Like with any carrier, you're going to have people complaining, and you're going to have people saying they had no problems. Myself, I've had no problems with Virgin, going on 2.5 years with them now. My rate is incredibly low, and I love it. $25 a month for unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited texting, 100 anytime minutes, and then $6 for Caller ID, plus tax (no Systems Access Fee either) for $35.03 a month total.

The only thing I've ever had a problem with is something that started a month ago, I'm not able to receive texts from one person, she's on Bell. I've called up Virgin twice now (the CS reps were as helpful as they could be) but the problem still persists.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hhmmmmm, i called Telus to cancel and they asked "why" >? So, i told them my GF has a $45 unlimited plan, so they offered me $50 unlimited calling to keep me...I said i would think about it ....What to do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts