Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I haven't been watching too closely what has been happening to my Virgin account. I switched to the $10/month prepaid plan, topping up when the balance got to around $20 or so. Then I began noticing that my balance would expire on Sept. 29. Then I got a cell phone message that I would lose my balance unless I topped up. When the hell did this grabbing MY money from MY prepaid account if I didn't use it by a certain date. OK, it looks like I have been naive about these legal gangsters at Bell. So just moments ago I topped up the minimum $15 and then I find my $31 will expire on October 28, one month from now. This is beyond ridiculous. I only use cell phone for emergencies (help, I went over the cliff, send air ambulance, my car is on fire, send a bucket of water). The odd call from the grocery store,(what kind of cavier did you say to buy?). So who has a plan that doesn't require an ever increasing pot of gold for them? sailmaker

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
7-eleven prepaid wireless gives you 365 days of time for $25 / year.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info but I just read some older posts and 7-11 seems to be on the way out. There are no 7-11's in my area anymore and to make matters worse, they used Rogers towers. Rogers sucks big time in the Burlington and Waterdown Ontario area which is why we switched to Virgin before Bell screwed it into the ground. I would not support Rogers in any endevour even if I had to die to stick to that rule. Even bigger shysters than Bell in many ways. I don't mind prepaying a cell phone package but to lose my/their stake if I don't spend like a drunken sailor is totally unwarrented. sailmaker

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
One of the many reasons I ditched virgin for wind.
I shouldnt have to put $100 in to have it last more than a month.
I've increased my usage with wind, too, now that it costs me less per minute :p

If you want to keep the prepaid/low use model, go with 711, as mentioned.
Or just keep your phone for true emergencies (911) in which it's free, no active service required.

And I'm with you on never giving rogers another penny, thus why I went to wind ;)
In terms of prepaid, there's not much else out there that won't screw you over (as badly) with expiring balances than 711
unless you're into a usage bracket worthy of a low monthly plan ($15)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I switched to the $10/month prepaid plan, topping up when the balance got to around $20 or so. Then I began noticing that my balance would expire on Sept. 29. Then I got a cell phone message that I would lose my balance unless I topped up. When the hell did this grabbing MY money from MY prepaid account if I didn't use it by a certain date.
that's the way its always worked so I don't know why you are complaining.

Just get a pay as you go account, a $100 card and you get a year of service.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
I am with Hugh. I buy $100 per year. But I did complain back in 2006 with my original thread title "Not all Virgins are pure of heart". :D

Your post is confusing too. You freely switched to $120/year. Why? Do you have a lot of emergencies? $100/year would make more sense if dislike frequent top-ups. The $10/month is use it or lose it. Is that not enough?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Hugh and Jake, so I had my head up my butt when I switched to what I thought was a better deal for me. Hope your brains aren't as addled as mine when you reach 79 (and counting). Don't give me hell, just point out where I went brain dead.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
Kids these days! Just kidding. But I didn't think you were allowed to have cell phones once you retired. :)

Just so you know, I understand. Plus, I am pretty sure you are not alone in your misery. At least you are not on here saying "Holy Cow I just got a $2000 data usage charge ...".

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
God forbid I get one of those "ohmygawd" bills.. :p But seriously folks, as the comedians used to say, I looked and did not find a VirginMobile offer of a $100/year card.
HUGH: quote: Just get a pay as you go account, a $100 card and you get a year of service. Enlighten me. where do you see this offer in Virgin's web site? Thanks to one of your posts several years ago, I and my wife each signed on to Virgin when it was a company to be admired. Your positive review was the deciding factor. sailmaker

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jake, thanks for that. Why do they make it so hard to give them money? I will let them grab my $31 on Oct 28. and start fresh. Probably beats running around in person or internet seeing who has what and when. sailmaker

·
Registered
275 Posts
sailmaker,

If I'm following this correctly - it is really late - you are going to top up with Virgin again for $100/365 days?

If that's the case you don't have to let the $31 expire, just top up before the date.

I used to be with Virgin, but they've gone to Bhell. Customer service is awful and I don't want to deal with them anymore. They also owe me some money which this post reminded me of. I need to go after it because they aren't playing nice or the way they said they would.

I'm with 7/11 in Burlington (bought the phone/card in Oakville) and I'm ok with picking up a top up once a year on one of my many excursions into Oakville. It is in the Lakeshore/Bronte area. I don't care who it's with, I'm not loading tons of unused money onto phones and get the service I need when I need it.

I don't venture too far into Waterdown, or at least too far from Dundas, so I can't comment on coverage out there. Around Dundas and Highway 6 I've had no problem with the service.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
markf: Thanks for coming back here with that update. Good to know, but of course the big thing is coverage. With all their faults, and there are bazillions, Bell's coverage and signal strength in this area is just great. Rogers sucked as I have posted earleir here. If 7-11 is using Bell's transmitters then all would be well. So in order to get the 365 days coverage I would have to top up with a $100. prepayment which if I did it now would mean around $131. in virtual money. If I wait until next regular top up on Oct. 24 then I would have a balance of about $20. Four days later they would grab that and run for the hills. Hugh said "that's how it has always been" and I say NO it hasn't. I never had a notice that the balance would expire in something like 30 days. I have often not topped up for two or three months in a row because I was only depleting by $10 + tax each anniversary date. As long as I had $15 or $16 in the pot I was good to go for another 30 days. sailmaker

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
Sailmaker, It is true VM has shortened their prepaid expirations. As have most prepaid services. But you are saying your prepaid time reached their anniversary date and the balance remained? Sounds rather odd. Or are you describing a withdrawal of your prepaid dollars to pay for your monthly prepaid plan?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jake:
ACCOUNT DETAILS
Your cash balance of $31.85 will expire on 29-Oct-2010
Your next payment of $10.00 is due 24-Oct-2010

I scanned the above into my scanned docs file but I can't find an attachment icon here so the above is bang on how it looks on my VM account page.
I had deposited by VISA another $15. just a few days ago when I noticed for the first time that there was now a time limit on my unused deposit. Trust me when I say I never lost any prepaid deposits within 30 days or so of having made the top up. I often went 2 or 3 months without topping up because I had sufficient funds in the pot to cover two or more months at $10/month plus tax. The most I ever topped up was $20 or $25 at a time. The current balance of $31.85 is almost enough to cover the next 3 months. I have a small post-it-note on the side of my monitor. which I add to until it is filled. On July 24 I had $37.45 in my prepaid account, with the next due date of Aug.24. On Aug 24 they removed another $10 plus tax leaving me with a balance of $27.05 with the next due date of Sept 24. On Sept 24 they took another $10 plus tax leaving me with a balance of $16.95 and a due date of Oct. 24. Suddenly this time there is that expiry date notice. If it was there every time I never saw it and I would have lost my deposit. That never happened. I'll be in the bar if you need me. sailmaker

·
Registered
443 Posts
You've been lucky. I have a Telus prepaid ($10/month) that tops up every month off my Mastercard. When my card was compromised last month Telus was on me with a cancellation notice immediately and I have a $380 credit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts