Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm basically new to OTA so I tried out this vintage set of rabbit ears (City of Toronto location). This Gemini 10 has a UHF loop and VHF prongs with two sets (brown and beige) of twin lead output. It also has an unlabelled 6-position control dial.

Using a balun to a Sharp TV, I've experimented and even managed to sporadically pick up Buffalo 29 and 49 along with the strong Toronto signals.

I'm thinking of trying this at a cottage in Eastern Ontario where, according to rabbitears and tvfool, there are only a few accessible signals anyway.

How should I deal with the two twin lead outputs? Combine? Ignore one?
What does the dial do in general and is it of any use to me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
plug this in to ebay, and you'll find them avail for 99 cents + $5 shipping (US)
'signal separator combiner splitter uhf/vhf 75 - 300 ohm band separator antenna'
This will take take uhf / vhf 300 ohm and combine them to a 75 ohm coaxial output.
You could plug that in directly to the rear of your TV, and voila, it will have 300 ohm vhf and 300 ohm uhf inputs, just like a TV in 1975...
Might be able to find em locally too, if ya look hard enough.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm basically new to OTA so I tried out this vintage set of rabbit ears (City of Toronto location). This Gemini 10 has a UHF loop and VHF prongs with two sets (brown and beige) of twin lead output. It also has an unlabelled 6-position control dial.

View attachment 12139
Very interesting, haven't seen those in a while. Yes, it'll work pretty well when you get the connections squared away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks majortom and Gibsons. I'll try and hunt down that combiner.
Ironically there's one of these Gemini 10s up on ebay for $17.99 US.

Does anyone know the function of the 6-position dial control?

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Does anyone know the function of the 6-position dial control?
My experience is that it is designed to make the picture worse. ;) The best bet is to connect one twin-lead directly to the loop and the other directly to the rabbit ears. Then use one of the combiners mentioned above. Don't expect too much. Rabbit ears will only pick up strong local stations. If their are no VHF stations nearby then just the UHF loop is needed.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Yeah, there is nothing special / magic about the antenna. I have an old Rembrandt in the basement from presumably the 50s, when they still used Bakelite instead of plastics. I use it for FM Radio reception on radios of that era. Just rotate the switch for best reception, that is all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.