Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Rogers has the "Lobby Watch Channel" for people in Apartment buildings and condos to be able to see their security camera through channel 998 or something like that. I have a camera at home that comes with a box which allows me to hook up coax cable to the TV and view it on either channel 3 or 4. Is there any way I can tie that into my digital terminal to see it on a different channel. Currently I would have to have a 2-way switch going into my TV and manually switch between input from the STB and input from the camera.

Thanks,
Riffraff

·
Banned
306 Posts
I'm pretty sure the "Lobby Watch" channel has to be setup by a tech. In my building, the lobby camera actually is hard-wired over top of analog channel 59. I surmise that this is so that those people who don't have digital cable can also make use of it, but it does take away a channel (RDI) from those who might have wanted to watch it. No notice was given that this was going to happen, and no consultation was made to determine if a "better" channel might have been used (like say, one of those annoying barker channels). For digital cable subscribers like me, the lobby cam is seen on 998 and 859 (analog 59), while RDI is shown on 59 (digital).

·
Registered
751 Posts
How is your STB connected to your TV? If you're using an RF connection, can you switch to using a different input, such as RCA composite or s-video (plus separate audio) on your TV?

That way, you could hook up the camera output to the RF input on your TV. You could then use the TV remote control to switch between the RF input for the camera and whatever other input you used for the STB.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Can indeed be done. What you have now - that little box - is just a channel 3/4 modulator. What you want is a signal 'injector' - a device that will 'inject' the camera 'channel' into your incoming cable signal. I can't remember exactly, but I believe that security channel is RF channel 1, which is never used for broadcast TV.

Injectors aren't too hard to find...if you can't find anything, let me know and I'll do a search. They are probably in the $100-150 range.

·
Registered
580 Posts
And if you're in an area that still has analog duplication, you'll be able to 'inject' that channel into one that is tunable on your STB - anywhere you want in the 800 range. If/when they eliminate the analog duplication, you'd be out of luck as far as tuning it in via your STB.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
The best suggestion was given earlier. Connect the STB to the TV properly, using S-Video or composite video and connect the camera to the "ANT" input and tune to channel 3 (that is unless the TV is so old that it doesn't have any alternate inputs, in which case a simple (or complex) RF-coax switch will do the job.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here's a crazy question - I assume the thing that allows the camera to be viewed on channel 3 or 4 is a channel injector of sorts - is it possible to modify that thing so that a different channel is injected?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
No, it's an RF modulator, same thing that's inside a VCR, it's not an "injector". These modulators usually only have an option switch for analogue channel 3 or 4.

There may be a remote control RF-coax switch that you could buy and place it upstream of the STB to allow you to tune to the camera, or the usual cable in... There certainly are manual ones, as you mentioned. You may wish to test the camera to see if the STB can tune it now (channel 803?).

As mentioned earlier though, when/if Rogers eliminates the analogue channel mapping from their STB, you may be SOL.

Please put your location in your profile, it'll help us help you.

·
Registered
580 Posts
An injector is more than just an RF modulator. It can actually replace a channel within your cable lineup. Just attach your cable and video source to the injector, then the injector into your STB and it will have replaced a certain channel with the video souce. The less expensive ones may only have a choice of a couple channels, but there are models that will allow you to select any analog channel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are there plans to eliminate the analog duplication? Will that only happen when analog CATV is eliminated?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry for bumping this, but it's relevant...

I'm in an apartment building with a lobby camera, just got my cable set up last week. The lobby watch channel on my STB, however, is just black...

Does a cable tech need to do something to turn it on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
wut model box do u have? as far i know u need the sa 3200 to view the lobby channel. im not sure if the 940 or any other models work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The lobby watch channel should work with any set top box that has an analog tuner. As far as I know, they all do except for the SA 940 (the small, black one with no LCD display).

If you have a 940 and really want the lobby cam, you can probably take it in to your local Rogers store and ask to swap it for another SD model.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you need a STB with an analog tuner in it to view lobby channel 998. The pace SD and SA940 and 1840 only have digital tuners in them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Viewing Camera on Rogers 998 with RF Mod.

I'm trying to view the Camera on the TV in my house.
I'm in Toronto and have a Rogers HD PVR. Trying to use Lobby 998 channel.

I've hooked up a PC based Camera system with video out.
I have a Notch Filter, RF Modulator, and combiner/splitter.

So.... how do I hook up Filter, RF etc.
What channel do I need to set the RF mod. too?
What channel can I view on STB.

I had the RF and Rogers into splitter then out to TV. Didn't work though.

Any help would be great as I've been running up and down the stairs all night :)

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Check out the earlier posts in this thread and here are other threads with other options:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52811

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56082 Post 8

Let us know what you decide. If you have a Harmony remote, programming it to change inputs to the TV's tuner (or another TV input if using composite video for example) may be the easiest approach. The newer SA remotes can also be used to change inputs on lots of TVs by properly programming in the TV code and using the input button on the Rogers remote after pressing "TV".

If you have a composite (or s-video) output on the camera, then direct connection to the TV would also save the Notch Filter, RF Modulator, and combiner/splitter. As you can tell, I often prefer the "KISS" approach, but I hope one of the above suggestions gets you where you want to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
59/998 Modulator

You can purchase a 59 / 998 modulator and save yourself all the grief of a notch filter combiner and amplifier as this unit has it all in one conveinient case. All you do is connect the incoming cable to the box, connect your camera and viola it is done. If you have television without an STB you can view it on 59 and digital boxes on 998 although the cable provider may be blocking that channel you can put in your request to have it activted. The cost of the all in one modulator is about $429 and it works I have iinstalled many of them.

LVG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts