Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Videotron launching 3G+ network on Thursday, September 9th

At a joint-press conference held in Montreal and Quebec City yesterday, Videotron announced the long awaited launch of its HSPA+ mobile network.

The company says the new mobile network is now up and running across Québec and 3G service plans are now available to customers in the greater Montréal and Québec City areas, and in some municipalities in between.

Customers in the Sherbrooke, Mauricie, Saint-Hyacinthe and Beloeil areas will be able to sign up for service in October 2010. Service will be rolled out to Mont-Tremblant, Drummondville and Victoriaville by year's end, making it available to the bulk of Québec's population.

"We want to offer our service to as many Quebecers as possible and we expect to be able to serve almost our entire potential customer base by 2011, including the Saguenay / Lac St-Jean region at the beginning of the year and Gatineau / Ottawa in the spring," said Robert Dépatie.

The company is offering a number of wireless voice and text plans starting at $29.50 per month with discounts of up to $10 a month when bundled with three other Videotron services.

Out of the gate, Videotron will be offering twelve different handsets, including the Google Nexus One (HTC), making Videotron the first Canadian service provider to carry a handset loaded with the Android 2.2 Froyo operating system; the Nuvifone A5, the first Garmin phone in Canada; Blackberry Pearl; Blackberry Bold; the Motorola XT720 and the entry-level Huawei U3200.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Fantastic news. I think Videotron is going to see great success in their market. I hope it's enough to raise the profile of AWS for the benefit of all the underdogs.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That will all depend on the pricing and the bandwidth caps. It'll be pointless to subscribe to the service if the price is so high and the bandwidth cap is so low that you end up going through your $50/month service bandwidth allowance within fifteen minutes.

And considering how much Vidéotron had to pay for the bandwidth in Quebec in order to squeeze out all of the competition, their prices are very likely to be pretty high.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah I watched the whole news conference, sounds pretty promising,
I'm in the Zone , and my other services are with them except cell, and that contact is done , just wondering if I can keep the same cell phone number
like with the landline. Bell has never done any favours for me, Videotron has done wonders, they phoned me last week to offer me a new modem for free. no catches. and everything has been reliable since I switched to them so I guess this should work fine in my case

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes you can keep the same cell phone number. At least, that's what they state in what's included in the package when you go to their site.

Included services:

Unlimited incoming text, photo and video messages
Call waiting
Conference call
Call forwarding
Detailed online billing
Portability of your current mobile number
Technical support, repairs and customer service (611)
Emergency services (911)
No network access fees

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
3 year contracts. Or as they like to put it,

Where an economic inducement has been granted in the purchase of equipment, a termination fee will apply if the contract is terminated before the end of the acquisition period of the discount (36 months)
The BB Bold is being sold for $500. I assume the units are branded but not locked in any way. If they are then you can save $50 by picking one up elsewhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Concerning the 3 handsets missing (Videotron said 12 but there are only 9 listed on their website), one of them is the Sony Ericsson TM506 which they “use this phone exclusively for the migration of their actual customers”, plus the other couple of devices are actually different colour options. The Nokia 5230 comes in white or black, and the Samsung Gravity 2 comes in blue or orange.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts