Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Who else is using Vidéotron's technology? I can't believe that Apple would come out with a different version of the iPhone just for them given their relatively tiny market.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Vidéotron joins Wind Mobile and Moblicity using AWS (UMTS IV) in Canada, and they all have U.S. roaming with T-Mobile. For Apple, a market is a market, so after doing their bean counting they'd determine if it is worthwhile to provide such an iPhone version.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
For Apple, a market is a market, so after doing their bean counting they'd determine if it is worthwhile to provide such an iPhone version.
Yep, but I kind of based my assumption on the fact that Apple didn't give a CDMA iPhone for Bell and Telus which arguably have a much bigger market than Videotron...

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
CDMA is a technology that requires a license from Qualcomm, while GSM and HSPA are open standards. That's why there was no CDMA iPhone. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would assume a Videotron iPhone means a T-Mobile iPhone. The big difference between an AWS iPhone and a CDMA iPhone is that an AWS iPhone requires only a minor tweak to the radios they use at the moment while a CDMA iPhone would require a full redesign. An AWS version would be cheap and easy to make by comparison.

·
Registered
748 Posts
That being said, the rumoured "intelligence" amongst Apple analysts and watchers is that the next iPhone will be a CDMA version for Verizon and that can only come when the "exclusive" contract with AT&T expires.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well it would be nice to have AWS added to the iPhone.. heck, for iPhone 4 Apple just added 2 more bands making a total of 5 (800,850,900,1900,2100). I think the reason for not yet adding 1700 in there is to keep AT&T happy with their contract and not having an iPhone that would work on t-mobile USA
s 3G network. If anything maybe iPhone 5 will get AWS, but I don't think Apple will go changing the hardware in the middle of the product's cycle just to work on a few small AWS carriers in Canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts