Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folkz, I'm waiting for Videotron to be installed this weekend, but I wanted to knwo if there was a way to use my PC as a PVR, ideally to record and schedule HD content. I'm not willing to pay $499 for a PVR when my PC has more than enough HD space and is about 8feet from the TV.

Any ideas? I saw some older posts but they dated back to 2005 or so.

Thx

·
Registered
303 Posts
It depends on the HD receiver that you get... Some have the firewire port active, so it can be done cheaply... Otherwise you would have to go for the the HD PVR from Hauppauge if you want to record in HD, which wouldn't save you that much in the end...

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
As far as I know the solutions are still the same with the same issues, namely dropouts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend of mine has Bell and his receiver has a USB port that he simply plugged an external drive into. The Receiver asked to re-format it and it added some kind of software to it, for scheduling I presume?

Either way, I may end up just switching to Bell if this gets too complciated, at least they offer a Free PVR.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A friend of mine has Bell and his receiver has a USB port that he simply plugged an external drive into.
He most likely already had a PVR model, and simply added more external storage... OTOH it was possible to modify some Shaw Direct receiver to do just that, or maybe I got both satellite provider confused... Either way, that's not typically how it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts