Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Why in Canada such slow "Upload speed(s)"?

examples: (from the link above, etc)

Upload speed: 800 Kbps
Upload speed: 1 Mbps
Upload speed: 1.5 Mbps

or often:

Upload speed: 512 Kbps

previously i had 512 Kbps (when uploading full speed in uTorrent say - went like 50 - 55 kb/s maximum)

currently with Shaw Cable Extreme - it's 1 Mbps (when uploading full speed in uTorrent say - goes like 90 - 95 kb/s maximum)

However .. when downloading in uTorrent say .. - often it's just "flying"! .. - from only one person.. - say can go 500-600 kb/s etc...

So someone can upload to me that fast .. and it's not one or two people.. - but LOTs of people who can easily upload like that..

They are not in Canada of course...
They are somewhere in Europe by the looks of it.. say Germany, Hungary, Ukraine, Russia for example.. etc..

I know for a fact. .- some providers in Russia - give you FAST upload speed .. as well as FAST download speed... - and the price is not even very expensive..
quite affordable .. like 20 bucks US a month etc...

What's up with Canada?

In some countries they think it's like "paradise" here.. - everything is good, fantastically fast ( including internet :) ) .. and that we all are just "rolling in doe" here...

hehe.. ya, right :D

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
For the same reason our caps are so low in Canada... there's no competition, so the ISPs offer the minimum they can at the maximum price that they can.

Videotron offers 8/1 with a 40GB cap (going up to 50!) for $43.95/mo; in the US, Comcast offers 15/3 with a 250GB cap for $42.95/mo .

In France, Orange Telecom offers 100/10 FTTH service with a 1 TB cap, plus HDTV and VoIP, for only 37 euro/mo (about $50 cdn). For an extra 10 euro, they'll upgrade that to symmetrical 100/100 (ref: orange.fr)

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the actual unbundled rates. They are higher than what you quoted.

HIGH-SPEED INTERNET: $53.95/month
ULTIMATE SPEED INTERNET 15: $65.95/month
ULTIMATE SPEED INTERNET 30: $66.95/month

·
Registered
700 Posts
If you purchase additional capacity in GB blocks in Videotron's customer service area, the overage fees are lower: 5Gb for 5$ or 30Gb for 12$. Presumably, you have to buy these blocks before exceeding your cap...

·
Registered
302 Posts
While I will never be thrilled with Videotron removing my unlimited downloads to change to 100GB without so much as a hanshake at least they are raising the limits.

Very smart with all the attention around UBB

I have been so used to going under 100GB now that I will change from the extreme 30 to extreme 15

·
Registered
302 Posts
lol, not as easy as I thought. I called to downgrade my service and was told they need to send a tech to my house to take the modem back and it will cost me $40

I mentioned that my commitement is up in 3 weeks, that we both know after that time if I even hint at moving ISP's that you will do this for free and can we avoid this dance?

No dice :p

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why do they need to take the modem back? I assume you will still have a DOCSIS 3 modem with 15Mbps service.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, to be fair it sounded like a very new CSR who was learning the ropes (most importantly was extremely polite) and I didn't press the issue. I'm pretty sure if I call back they will just resolve it.

After the endless headache I have been going through with bell on my 4 month Fibe promo I just didn't have the fight in me :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm glad I don't live in Quebec so I don't have to subscribe to Videotron. Their Basic Internet package gives you 3 Mbps down with a 5 GB data transfer limit starting on April Fools Day. IMHO it should be a 20 GB somewhat inline with their High Speed and Ultimate Speed packages. Is Ultimate speed 30 really $1 more for twice the speed? Out West, Shaw charges like thrice the amount to go to their 50 Mbps plan.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Other providers aren't any better, especially on their Lite/Basic plans.

Shaw Lite is 1M/256K with 15GB limit, for $35/mo
Rogers offers 512K/256K with a 2GB limit, for $27.99/mo (plus $5/GB overage)
Bell offers 2M/800K with a 2GB limit, for $34.99/mo (plus $2.50/GB overage)

On the other hand, Videotron's higher packages are comparable (or better) than other providers, at least in terms of $/speed. For example, Videotron vs Shaw:

Videotron Ultimate Speed 60 : 60M down, 3M up, 150GB limit $82.95/mo
Shaw Warp: 50M down, 3M up, 175 GB limit $97.00/mo

Videotron Ultimate Speed 120: 120M down, 20M up, 170/30GB limit $149.95/mo
Shaw Nitro: 100M down, 5M up, 350GB limit $150/mo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts