Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If you are referring to Sunday afternoon football game on CBSHD, that game was in SD because CBS Burlington covers New England Patriots no matter what the national network has scheduled for HD. Burlington is our local station now and we are assumed to be Patriots fans.

When our stations came from Buffalo, we had the Bills every week.

·
Registered
260 Posts
dude that I understand what I don't is if you check cbs or the nfl sites the game is in HD but the local(Plattsburgh/Burlington locals have pot busts on news channels this is small town USA)plays in SD so we get SD but we pay for HD although the costs per channel per month are minimal I can't get enough and want more.when you look forward to seeing something and tune in to black bars it turns you off,I can't wait for the day HD is HD thats all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
CBS didn't provide HD coverage for the Pats game last Sunday. So it's not Burlington's or Videotron's fault.

CBS only does about half their weekly games in HD. FOX, on the other hand, covers their entire shedule in HD.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The Pats game last Sunday wasn't even HD on CBS Boston (ExpressVu get the CBS east feed from Boston). And I'm pretty sure FOX doesn't do HD for every game. They sometime use widescreen SD and it shows. It's not as good as HD but it's way better than CBS SD games.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Local News in HD at CBS Burlington... just like some channels in Seattle.

Plus public announcements in HD, good effort!

·
Registered
260 Posts
my main gripe is they're playing the local game in SD, videotron should have a switch or something and switch the HD channel to a HD game,last season and before that I don't remember seeing so many black bars on the sides for sports and TV shows as I've seen lately

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I prefer seeing a Patriots game to a Buffalo Bill game. So, if (although Videotron would never ever do what you suggest) they would replace a Patriots game with a Bill's game, I would complain. In any event, I don't watch NFL in SD format, period.

Switch to a FOXHD game, enough said!

·
Registered
480 Posts
That western US HD feed would come in handy when you've got a SD game on the eastern feed. But according to a Videotron employee who shall remain nameless, they are a waste of bandwidth... ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Agreed. I'd love to see western feeds. But outside of football season I don't really need it as I have the dual-tuner 8300HD recorder so I never miss shows.

For now, at least Global carries an HD game each week (usually a simsub of one of the Buffalo stations games). With the exception of last week, we're likely to gain another HD game each week until season's end.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My AV receiver displays changes in the audio format whenever my cable box changes channels.

Whereas CBSHD used to be DD5.1, this afternoon it is coming in as 2.0 just like NBCHD. PBSHD used to be 2.0, and now it is 5.1, like ABCHD is now.

RC remains 5.1, even though I have seen it carry 2.0 programming which only comes out of the front left and right speakers inspite of the 5.1 feed being permanently enabled.

It is nice to see more and more channels now carrying 5.1, but why must CBSHD be downgraded from 5.1 to 2.0?

I also imagine Videotron in Montreal is picking up these cross-border HD stations in Vermont and New York State using line of sight antennae, which must be a lot cheaper than paying a royalty to access Buffalo stations via satellite links.

·
Registered
321 Posts
UPDATE TO MY PREVIOUS POST.

I've noticed since posting that PBSHD can toggle between 5.1 and 2.0 depending on the program, just like ABCHD.

But I've yet to see CBSHD come in as 5.1, even last night during primetime.

Perhaps all the kilobits are allocated on Videotron for 5.1, but the station is not re-transmitting the network feed in 5.1?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I was at a buddies and saw a college basketball game on CBSHD with 5.1 sound. I guess it just depends on the programming.

Check out the NFL games today and see what kind of sound you get. I personally don't have an AVR so I can't check for myself.

PS. Merry Christmas everyone!

·
Registered
321 Posts
morden, you are correct. CBSHD (football) is now showing as 5.1 and NBCHD, ABCHD, and PBSHD are all back at 2.0.

This all means that it is completely program driven, although as I mentioned earlier, Radio Canada leaves the audio channel on at 5.1 even if only stereo is passing through it.

Thanks for you holiday wishes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that HD content from WPTZseems to have a lot of noise ("static") in red areas? I first saw this in last week's broadcast of "Studio 60 on The Sunset Strip" but it was really only noticeable as speckling in darker areas, and almost only when I was going through it frame by frame (after I first thought I was seeing things), but Sunday morning's broadcast of "Today" showed it much more clearly. I haven't yet asked Videotron about this but the other HD channels seem to be free of this...

·
Registered
321 Posts
57 said:
See the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "What's available in DD5.1".
As you state there, if only stereo is being supplied on a DD5.1 channel, the affilate is not (re) encoding properly.

Suppose that only stereo is available to the network source or affilate relay. Who in this case should be synthesizing the 5.1 from 2.0?

If I let my AV receiver do it, sometime there is so much phasing problems that the audio quality is deteriated. I then have the option of just letting the 2.0 come out without any distortion, and forget about surround.

Perhaps the networks know that if they try to fabricate 5.1 from 2.0 on behalf of their viewers, they are going to end up botching the job as much as my AV receiver.

Some 2.0 programs convert easily to 5.1 when the original 2.0 was mixed-down well in the studio. Other times, the audio engineer has placed the different sources in a non-coherent way within the pan between left to right.

Personnally, I would rather the networks did not encode 2.0 to 5.1 and leave me with final choice based on how well my AV receiver sorts out this mess.

·
Registered
276 Posts
SuperBowl in HD with American Ads

If I understand correctly the CRTC requires that to request a SIMSUB the requesting service; GLOBAL or CTV for instance, MUST offer an OTA signal that matches in quality the originating service; ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX or PBS.

I do not believe that GLOBAL or CTV currently offer OTA HD digital feeds in the Montreal region.

I anticipate An American SuperBowl with NO SIMSUBs this January!

An observation

21 - 40 of 65 Posts