Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been reported elsewhere that Videotron has switched over to Plattsburgh/Burlington for their American HD feeds.

I was this close to switching to satellite due to Videontron's botched HD simsubs. So let's see if the new channels come in simsub- and glitch-free.

Please post in this thread any comments/problems with the new HD channels.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Has this been confirmed that they have switched?

Of course another option is OTA for those channels and Videotron for everything else:

QC - City of Montreal - OTA
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53294

QC - Laval/West Island/Ste-Eustache - OTA
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53298

QC/ON - South Shore/NE of Montreal/Province of Quebec/Cornwall - OTA
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53296

Montreal/Burlington, VT: OTA Status/News/Changes/Updates
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51210

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it appears they have switched.

Patiently waiting for primetime so we can compare HD programming.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Well finally! And we now have DD 5.1 for ABCHD and NBCHD.

I'll be recording 2 hour shows at PBSHD and CBSHD starting at 9:00 AM. I will then calculate the Bitrate and report.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Just calculated bitrate for program "Justice" last night at FOXHD. It was 15.6 Mbps. Could be better. Wonder what else Videotron has in that QAM. I was hoping for 17 Mbps.

The fact that HD was not turned on does not impact bitrate... it's the same "broadband hose".

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Mfabien !

I've got some bitrate for you. Be careful, the video and audio bitrate are separated. By the way, for all those channels, its exactly the same bitrate as we received it OTA. If a channel bitrate is not higher than this, it's because the OTA station isn't broadcasting higher than this and, most of the time, it's because they waste bandwidth (and quality) for the useless subchannel.

For FOXHD, this is the only station that the non-hd bitrate is completely different than the HD bitrate because their network feed is already pre-compressed at a lower bitrate.

ABCHD :
Video : 14.4 Mbps in 1280x720P - Nice quality, better than Buffalo's
Audio : 384 Kbps in DD5.1 - Yes the sound is finally in DD5.1 but there is a lot of break in the stream. I hope they will fix that soon...

NBCHD :
Video : 16.2 Mbps in 1920x1080i - The picture is a lot better than the one from Buffalo (14.2 Mbps).
Audio : 384 Kbps in DD5.1 - Another problem here, the sound is, specially with the local feed, not always synchronize with the picture.

CBSHD :
Video : 14,8 Mbps in 1920x1080i - For CBSHD, now, there is a drop in video bitrate because the Buffalo station was using 16.4 Mbps lately. The picture is a bit more pixelated but, overall, it's not bad.
Audio : 384 Kbps in DD5.1 - Nice sound quality, switching from DD2.0 to DD5.1 when needed.

PBSHD :
Video : 13.8 Mbps in 1920x1080i - The Mount Mansfield station would have a been a little better with a video bitrate around 15.2 Mbps but it's still better than the Buffalo's OTA.
Audio : 384 Kbps in DD5.1

FOXHD Local only broadcast (I didn't catch a HD show yet...)
Video : 14.6 Mbps in 1280x720P. Good for a 1280x720P station.
Audio : 384 Kbps in DD2.0 (quite normal for local).

So, for now, I think those stations are a bit too "young" to be considered "stable". Since the unappropriated HD substitution forced by Rogers, Videotron has no choice to switch their HD source earlier than expected.

Kaphyr
http://illico2.tripod.com/

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Thanks for the report, Kaphyr.

Will check PBSHD and CBSHD in a few minutes after they were both recorded for 2 hour programs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've combined my reading with the one that MFabien just send me (Thanks!).

For CBSHD, the average video bitrate is around 15.0 Mbps, which is quite good for a HD OTA form the USA.

For PBSHD, the new value is a little higher. The video bitrate is around 14.6 Mbps instead of 13.9 Mbps.

Those variations in video bitrate are quite normal. With more and more values, the average result will be more precise.

Kaphyr
http://illico2.tripod.com/

·
Registered
138 Posts
I complained 3 times over the past 2 months to the CRTC, about Videotron's simsub of HD channels (with Global/CTV Toronto or Ottawa). I got a letter, a week ago, from the CRTC, asking Videotron to see to it. Apparently, it worked.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I noticed on Videotron's list that they made a mistake with the WVNY listing. They identified it as coming from Plattsburgh, even though that station is licensed to Burlington.

Is the PBS feed being used the MountainLake one as well?

Also, does anyone know how Videotron is receiving the stations at their headend? I assume they are getting CBS, FOX, NBC, and PBS over-the-air since their signals are so strong and easy to receive in Montreal, but I wonder if they have a fiber link to receive ABC since the OTA signal on channel 13 is so weak and unstable.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Well, MountainLake, which is a single local station has a greater focus on Montreal than VPT, which has stations throughout Vermont.

Like Fox, ABC, and more recently NBC, MountainLake IDs itself as a Montreal station.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone noticed that, so far tonite, none of the network (NBC) programming on 652 (WPTZ?) has been streamed in HD? Also did anyone (besides me) complain to Videotron about the Survivor HD simsub (with Global's SD pillarbar content) on Thursday Night?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Reality shows are not filmed with HD cameras and they do not appear in 16:9. In the link MisterEd gave, only the "light blue" shows are in HD (see the legend at the top!). Survivor is not broadcast in HD and never was. I'm just waiting until they get one of those shows in HD. That would be awesome. But the cameras cost so much that they probably don't want to bring them to a beach where they can get sand all over them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I find a lot of shows know have black bars on the sides now,why can't they just stay with a signal thats HD I'm getting very disappointed with videotron lately ,I find cbs the worst.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Nothing to do with Videotron.

CBSHD and others carry most of their HD programs in the evening but still, they are not all in HD. Access CBS.com and search for the program schedule link and see what's in HD every day of the week. See program schedules for other networks.

PBSHD is always in 16:9 format. It is either HD or widescreen SD. Others should learn to do that ...more

In Montreal, SRCHD (channel 602) carries most of it's programs in 16:9 widescreen when not in HD.

·
Registered
260 Posts
that I know but all last season football was HD now it's not,when I check online it's broadcast in HD but not here.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts