Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question:

I have a videotron cable running into my house without a sub.

Say my friend purchases a PPV event in HD on his HD illico box and brings it over to my place. We re-connect the presently disconnected cable at my location. Will this work, or is his box tied to his address?

Thanks.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Typically the box is tied to an IP address and more likely a range of IP addresses so unless your friend lives in the immediate neighbourhood, the likelihood of it working is pretty much nil.

See this thread for more info. It's a Rogers Cable thread but the logic is the same.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Originally this was not possible at Videotron but I have been told by them that one can now fill up the Illico's hard drive with recordings and then bring the terminal to another location and play the recordings directly into another TV without the need to have the coax cable connected.

Supposedly, this allows users to take their box to there cottage and enjoy their previously made recordings.

I have never tested this but anyone can temperarily disconnect the coax input and see if they can still access the recordings.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Yes, the Rogers PVRs were the same - they would not boot without the coax connected, however that changed quite a while back with new firmware. However, I believe there is a "time limit" on this functionality and I believe it may be about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not exactly the same thing, but my father in law who lives on the South Shore of Montreal gave me a standard receiver when he switched to HD. He did not deactivate it. I plugged it in my TV which was then using the "free" (included) analog cable and I got all his channels (Canal Vie which I don't have was one of them). It worked very well. I called Videotron to have the box changed to my account and when I restarted as they asked me to do, I got my own channels.

I live in Aylmer (Outaouais).

So I say it might be working for you, although PPV is not the same thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I moved and, like I tend to do, didn't cancel my cable right away. my new place had cable already and I just connected my 8300HD and it worked without any problems for about 5 days, then it stopped. I had to call Videotron and transfer the box etc.. I don;t remember if I also tried to do that with the modem.
Videotron told me every so often (few days?) They scan the hardware and know what is where.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts