Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Unfortunately, ISPs will still rationalize throttling (and other limitations) in Canada. That is due to the fact that the communications backbones are all owned by businesses that own both ISPs and BDUs. As long as Bell, Rogers, Shaw, Telus, etc. continue to own most of the major ISP and BDU backbones, plus broadcasting businesses, they will see internet video as a threat to their core business model and will take measures to restrict it. Unlike the US, which has enacted policies to restrict such anti-competitive practices, the Canadian government seems to be Ok with the perception of competition while consumers have little protection.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Further distribution of video content. I.e., bring the video closer to the users. For example my ISP (Bell) now serves YouTube traffic directly from their network.
This can also be done with caching. The big issue I have with ISPs getting into deals like this one is that they now become essentially a web broadcaster. Then we see a situation where consumers only see what their ISP wants them to see. For example, Bell redirects MSN.com requests to their own MSN.ca site (at one time essentially making MSN.com unavailable to Canadians.) I tried to access Ten network in Australia once. That was a failure because it was being blocked by DNS redirection (presumably by Canwest who owned a majority interest.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.