Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Nexus One from Google. My cellular plan is with Rogers (yet to add a dataplan..... yes, I know, I'm missing out on all sorts of functionality without a data plan).

For android, is there a video over internet app yet, similar to Skype (or is there a Skype for android)? For use with a WiFi connection or a cellular data plan?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I've read about Skype for Android and Fring for Android being announced. I am not sure whether they are out or not. Probably should check the Android Market.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Fring exists for the Android and I have used it.

There isn't a fully functional Skype app yet unless you are on Verizon. I am assuming this is licensing deal. I haven't looked for an apk that will work with other phones/carriers.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
FWIW, YouTube works with my Nexus One. Also, if you hurry, you should be able to get that $30/6GB plan. That offer expires at the end of the month.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've got an app called Qik that allows for video streaming, if that's what you're asking about (v. video calling like Skype or Fring).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Since you're asking about video and mentioning Skype, I assume you want video calling, not video streaming (N1 already does this in the browser and YouTube apps).

The Sipdroid app offers voice and video calling, but IMHO, the VoIP "calling" part is nothing compared to the (non-video) 3CXPhone app.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes - I was referring to Video Calling. Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'll have to give some of them a try.

(We're expecting our second child in a few months, and my wife wants to "Skype" her remote sister who's too far away to be there). I'll definitely have to test drive this one before the day arrives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts