Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last several months, I experience video dropouts, often on replay, the screen goes blank for 2-3 seconds while the audio continues. I have replaced the PVR twice and the Samsung replaced the motherboard of the LCD TV on the assumption that it may be the TV. I have changed the HDMI cables and tried different inputs on the TV. The last visit from Shaw, I asked for a senior technician and he checked everything out and said the it was a Motorola problem and the company had to provide an update at some point. That was several weeks ago and I have heard nothing.

Do others have this problem??

GH

·
Registered
73 Posts
Haven't encountered that issue on an HD PVR, but I have seen such issues on an old DCT model, to which me and the shaw tech concluded had a fried tuner.

I cannot remember which sub-menu option tells the signal strength, however...

Power off the Shaw box, then immediately hit "Select" on the Shaw box to get into the background diagnostics. In here you can find the incoming signal strength, and any error codes that might imply an issue. If you cannot see any issues with low signal-strength or specific errors, then it might be a wiring issue somewhere between you and Shaw. (Sorry, it's truly that vague).

What I have seen happen before is if there is damage somewhere down the line, the signal will still be strong, but there will be enough damage to have a few packets lost.

The best advice I can offer is ask for an advanced signal analysis. I haven't heard of your issue being common enough for the issue to be a firmware fix.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you have the Moto PVR, it is a known problem with the HDMI, and it happens on mine as well. Still waiting for an update to solve the problem. You could use component until the new firmware is sent out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts