Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I have been updating my wifes ACER laptop. I added more ram, changed the 40 Gb hard drive for a 260 Gb and will be changing the mini pci lan module to get the N speeds.
The only thing that leaves to be changed is the video. Can this be done or is it an integral part of the motherboard and soldered at the factory?

One last thing, the lan odule is said to be the 300 type. Does this mean it might or might not be compatible with my dlink 150 n?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It's not too common outside of the DTR (Desktop Replacement) market to have upgradeable graphics. Even then, there isn't a lot of upgrade room in most cases.

As for wireless adapters, there isn't anything to worry about. If your laptop is 802.11n compatible and your router is as well, then you are OK. You will never see 150mbps or 300mbps speeds anyways over a wireless link.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
If you transfer files around your home network, or have really fast Internet, you'll notice.

My Netbook has an N-150 adapter, and upgrading my router to N(-300) roughly doubled network transfer speed compared to G (about 2 to 5 MB/S). Ethernet transfers around 14MB/s.

The N-150 router should experience the same improvement. Upgrading to an N-300 router will be much better.

It should be noted that only N-300 devices are "N Certified".

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The laptop is a Travelmate 2303 LCI. It is 5 years old and still running good. The video card isn't DX9 compatible therefore Windows 7 doesn't like it. I tried hacking the XP drivers in making Windows 7 accept them as Win7 compatible but no go. It installs them alright but when I reboot, it tells me my videocard ins't installed right. Funny thing is that we can't even play Solitaire on it because of that. :eek:

Wife can play Zuma or Chuzzle on it but those games don't require DX drivers.

As for the lan module, it's a draft n 300 model. I just hope it will make my wifes connection faster than the 11G adapter that she has now. Memory for that computer was hellish to find. It didn't like the normal pc2700 that I had installed. It wouldn't even post. It needed a special timing which I finally found.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yeah, integrated video.
Even if you could upgrade the video card in that laptop, being 5 years old, a compatible card would probably be the cost of a new laptop that would blow the old one away in terms of performance and features ;)

.. assuming you could even buy one.
I've yet to see laptop gfx cards for sale anywhere. And I know of a good 10 computer parts sites.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I found a way of "forcing" the Intel 855GM graphics adapter to work in Win7. I guess I wasn't the only one having the problem.

It is quite a trick but in the end, the computer "accepts" the driver as being WIN 7 compatible. She now can play Solitaire!!! :eek:

It's not the fastest computer out there but for internet banking, few online puzzles, email and what not, the Travelmate has been a pretty good little machine.

Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts